The Past, The Present, And The Future - part 2

Woohoo, I'm back! Sorry for the long disappearance! Hopefully this, and ESPECIALLY part 3 will make it up to you! 🧡

"It was a weapon worn on the wrist," Sabine said in an emotional voice.

Ezra stood up. "Sabine, whatever you know about this, you have to tell Kanan and the others. Come on!" He went to leave, but saw she was still sitting quietly in bed. He stopped where he was and waited.

Sabine saw him and knew he was waiting for her to say something. She took a deep breath and spoke, hiding the truth behind a web of half truths.

"Ezra, it's just a theory. It could really be anything. I'm just picking one option out of my helmet, it could be totally wrong!" Ezra walked back over and stood in front of her.

"Sabine, even if it's just a guess, it's so much better than nothing. You know more about the Empire's weapons than any of us. For the safety of us all, you've got to tell us, Sabine." He used her name to inflict deeper meaning, then he held his hand out to her.

Sabine looked from his hand, to his face, to her hand. She rubbed her right thumb. Then she looked up and her hand was in his. He smiled, and she smiled back. But it was not a true smile.

***

Sabine sat on the couch in the common room while Ezra gathered the rest of the crew. They all came in and circled around the Mandalorian. Hera sat next to Sabine and put her arm around her.

"What is it, Sabine?" She asks kindly. Sabine looks at Ezra doubtfully, but he gives her an enthusiastic nod, and she sighs. She looks to the ceiling and avoids all eye contact as she shares her theory.

"Right before I decided to leave the Empire, we were working on a wrist weapon, designed for Mandalorians. There was a team of us, me and two other Mandos I knew, Batcko and Keedo. We were given a drawing and description of some Imperials idea of a weapon, designed to counter rebels, and were told to make it come to life. They locked us in what they called IC rooms, or Inspirational Creation room."

Zeb snorted, and Sabine glanced at him, nodding. "Our thoughts as well. We were not allowed to come out until we had a weapon to test. We were given all the necessities to survive, and, of course, endless tools and supplies to create this weapon." Sabine stood and aggressively started pacing the room as memories came back to her. The others let her have space.

"The three of us worked well together. We often laughed, and joked. We didn't take it very seriously. We might've been locked in, but that meant the rest of the world was locked out. And all of us were good with that." Kanan sensed the sadness in her voice.

She looked at him, then quickly looked away. She spoke quickly, emotionless, trying to get it all out as quick as she could.

"Within a month, we had a plan. 4 months later, we had a functioning prototype. We let the Imperials know, and were brought to the testing grounds. The first prototype failed. As did the second, and third. But the fourth, it succeeded, for the most part." Sabine cleared her throat.

"We called it Shock 4. It was, essentially, an electrified webbed net, wrapped up tight, and packed in a mini launcher, which we turned into a wrist band. It was designed for close quarters combat. When launched, the web spreads out in a six foot by six foot square electrified web. It can be set to stun, kill, or torture." She inhaled deeply before continuing.

"The benefits of this weapon were that one, you don't need to be accurate, as the web was much bigger than a blaster bolt. And two, it was worn on the wrist, which is much harder to remove than simply letting go of a gun." Kanan sensed her deep emotions about this weapon and wondered at it.