Chapter XX

Double update because why not

When I got home, my entire family awaited me in the living room.

I walked in, keeping my head up.

"I'm glad you consented," I whispered, "Thank you for that."

My mother was crying. And nothing could cause me more pain than seeing her bawl her eyes out.

"Why didn't you tell us anything... You had been seeing Zack! All this time? That's why you were so upset?"

I nodded, unable to say a word. My dad was crying as much, if not more than my mother.

Colin was the only one who seemed to keep a straight face.

"It's what you would've wanted, right? For them to sign those papers?"

I nodded once again. Never had I wanted to hug my brother this bad.

"We're sending you off to die," my dad wailed, "The best-case scenario includes you going away to a different country and us losing contact... We're losing you either way."

"You're not losing me... You'll never lose me! I'll contact you every time I can. I'll call from random phones, I'll write to you, I'll zoom you. Everything will be okay.

I had to move to Zack's safe house tonight so that the FBI could contact me without any bothers, and so that I could be safe no matter what happened.

I packed my bags and looked around my room. My window where Zack had been waiting for me once, and where I'd snuck out so many times. The paintings I had made a few years ago. My closet filled with trendy clothes I have barely worn. The marks of my heights throughout my childhood.

I had grown up in that bedroom. And from the moment I stepped foot out of that door, I'd probably never return. Suddenly my heart sank to my feet. I didn't think I'd have to go through this until two years from now.

I'm just sixteen.

And I'm going undercover to an Assassin's Den. How did this ever happen? I'll never be sure.

I hadn't spent that much time with Zack, but the truth is that I never loved someone as much as him. I don't know why. He was just a hookup. Just a date. Just a kiss. Just sex. And now, here I was.

I wanted to cry again. But I had sobbed so much these past weeks that now I just felt empty. It hurt seeing my childhood finally come to an end and having to say goodbye to my family.

Maybe I'd return someday. Hopefully not in a coffin.

I showed a smile to my dad and hugged my dad tightly. To Colin, a simple light-hearted punch in the arm was enough to show him I loved him, even though he could be a douche sometimes.

The tears rolling down my mother and father's face, and the way my mother almost screamed from watching me leave was something I'd forever remember. Maybe they did love me after all. It's a shame I only properly realised it seconds before leaving that house and never returning.

I got into Nathaniel's car.

The sun hitting his face made him look like a greek god.

"You're a brave girl," he shot me a smile, "He's one lucky boy."

"Well, Pottermore did right by sorting me into Gryffindor, I guess... I worry I'm not thinking straight. What if all of this is for nothing?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"I want to help Zack. I want him to get out of this situation. He doesn't deserve any of this. Besides, Diaz has had me at knifepoint. I don't want any more innocent people to go through that."

"How long have you known him for?"

"Since we were kids," I smiled, "I always had a crush on him in middle school... But he only started paying attention to me a few months ago. We'd be together almost every day. He'd take me on the most amazing dates! Until I found he was working with Diaz. I got scared and left him. He told me he was trying to get out and that he had to go away and invited me to go with him. But I couldn't leave my family to run away with him."

"Well, what changed now?"

"I'm not doing just for him. I want kids in this town to feel safe, without having to worry about a bunch of lunatics murdering people."

Nathaniel nodded.

"It'll all be over soon. With Zack's testimony and all the evidence we have collected through the years, all we need is for you to try and negotiate to get into their mafia. After that, you need to get Aaron Diaz alone and vulnerable for us to arrest him easily without having the nuance of all the other assassins coming to his rescue."

"How about those other assassins?"

"Those are not as clever not as secretive of their whereabouts as Diaz."

"So all I have to do is get Diaz alone with me and call you guys? You'll do the rest, and I'll be off to the Bahamas with Zack, right?

"You got it. That's all you have to do."

"Can we do it tonight?"

"I don't see why not."

***

It was pouring rain that night. I stood in a puddle, my feet freezing, as my hoodie and hair got more and more soaked in water.

And I screamed from the top of my lungs.

I was in front of his house. The house where so many of the Assassins would have their meetings and talk about who to kill next.

"Hey Diaz, I want to talk with you!"

I was greeted with a gun to my forehead. It wasn't Diaz, but another man. This one with a scar across his whole cheek.

"Can I help you, little girl?"

"Is Diaz here?"

"It doesn't concern you, now, does it?"

"I want to take Zack's place. Leave him alone! I will do whatever he used to do. I'll kill whoever I have to. As long as they set him free."

Then, from behind the creepy man, no other than Erica Adams appeared.

"What is she doing here?!"

"Do you know her?"

"From school," we both said, glaring at each other.

"What are you doing here," I said, grinding my teeth.

"My dad happens to be Aaron Diaz, sweetheart, what are you doing here? Trying to save your boyfriend from doom?"

"I'm offering to take his place. As long as you stop going after him."

She looked me up and down and laughed.

"Yeah, no."

"Get out," his voice sent shivers down my spine. I swore that I could feel his blade pressed against my throat again.

His grey eyes stared into my soul.

"I accept your deal..."

"Are you crazy?" Erica squealed "She's a mammoth!"

"And the only thing that Zack loves. He'll come running right back once he knows she's with us..."

"Really?" I smiled "He told you he loved me? He talks to you about me?"

"That's what you're concerned about?"

"Kinda..."

"Come in, change those soggy clothes, we'll start training you."

Training me?

Oh, honey! I was very out of shape. I barely passed P.E. I wasn't flexible, I didn't have the stamina. I wasn't strong and I hated Physical Exercise in any way, shape or form. And

Being undercover already sounded like a nightmare, and I had just gotten there.