Chapter VII

I'd start my day with chemistry.
The bell rang when I was still outside of school and trying to convince my friend Tyler there were no such things as soul-sucking monsters as teachers, even though, I kind of doubt it... Just take a look at my Maths teacher. She was alive for the sole purpose of fucking our lives up... But that is a whole different story.
Tyler stopped by the stoners and chatted with them for a bit. It wasn't that hard to notice that every single one of them was very high.
"Hey, buddy, " I said to Tyler, "It's Chemistry, the teacher will be upset if we get late..."
My brother walked behind me with his group of friends. Yes, he was also late. I don't know how they did it, but I don't think they had ever been early to school.
Among them was Zack. My brother looked as if he was talking to him, but he seemed off, and as soon as he saw me, a smile appeared on his face. He stared at me for a while and I started back as I tried getting Tyler to class. He winked at me and I couldn't hold back a smile. Colin didn't seem to notice as he went on speaking about only God knows what.
"You have a cool brother, right?" one of the stoners asked me as she smoked a cigarette.
I hadn't seen her around before. Her hair was dark and her eyes were a beautiful blue. She was rather thin and, even though really pretty, the girl looked like a drug addict.
"Hm... Yeah... He's cool, I guess, " that just meant he was in the football team, not that he was actually cool to hang out with. If you were a guy on the football team, you were cool. And if you were a cheerleader, you were also cool. My brother was a mere benchwarmer, but I guess he was considered "cool" anyway.
She shot me a sly smile.
"Are you new?" I asked.
"Erica Adams, " she looked at my clothes with a raised eyebrow.
"Right... I'm..."
"I know who you are, " she didn't look all that happy to see me and I couldn't quite understand why that was. I didn't know her, so I didn't know what her problem was with me. I shrugged it off. Maybe she was just a bit edgy and weird... I mean, if she was hanging out with the stoners, she had to be at least a bit edgy and weird...
She didn't answer my question to whether she was new or not. Maybe she was. Maybe she wasn't. Maybe she didn't even go to school and just wanted to smoke there because.
"Right, " I mumbled, "Tyler, chemistry, now!"
I dragged him and all I could hear was him growling.
"Why do I have to go? I'm going to fail anyway."
Sometimes, Tyler made me sad. He was a genius. He really was. In ninth grade, there was no one who could solve a physics or maths problem faster than him. In the following year, his father died and his mother married an asshole, he discovered weed, drugs and alcohol and he hadn't been able to get reasonable grades ever since. He'd skip classes to smoke, he was almost always high, and he told me he was thinking about dropping out.
I don't know what he plans to do in the future. I just hope that all that weed hasn't fried all of his genius brain. He was the definition of wasted potential.
Maybe one day he'd come to his senses. I could only hope so. A blunt every now and then didn't hurt. But his messed up lifestyle led me to think that he'd be the first to overdose on marijuana.
"So, who is that Erica girl? Is she new here?"
"Who's that?"
"The girl that was literally hanging out with your friends a second ago..."
"Arica Items? Never heard that name... Who would name his daughter Arica?"
"Erica, Tyler. Her name's Erica..."
"Ah, yes, Erica."
"Yeah."
"I really don't know who she is."
"Hm, okay, then..."
Chemistry was so boring that I ended up falling asleep and waking up to the sound of something hitting my table really hard.
The teacher was staring at me with a really unfriendly face. I shivered.
"DETENTION! ALLISON"
I sighed and shrugged.
Oh well. Another one.

***

I spent the entire day without getting Zack out of my head. I hadn't seen him all day, except for that morning but I craved him. I didn't want to admit it, but that date had been amazing and those kisses were fucking fantasfic. I wanted him again.

My brother would kill us if he found out.

And that was what made me want him more. He was the forbidden fruit. And I wanted to bit him... Literally and metaphorically.

And after a whole day of not seeing him, I was super pissed off and with an awful mood. I didn't want to spend another hour in detention.

Zack did not see my "Good Morning" message. And even though I had seen him this morning and my brother around a fuck ton, I hadn't seen any more of Zack.

There was only one explanation. He was ghosting me. Maybe he was avoiding me, for some reason.

I got to the classroom where detention would take place. The grumpy teacher sat behind the desk full of school shit, like books, notebooks, pens... And even tests. I think she was marking them.

I didn't even look at the other students' faces. I could care less about who was in detention.

"Allison Hunter?" she asked, without taking her eyes off the test she was marking.

"Yeah."

"Sit down and write thirty times I mustn't sleep in class."

"Alright, whatever" I sighed.

I sat in the very last row so I could be on the phone. They could only keep me there for another hour. The teacher didn't want the extra hours, and the school had to close before half-past seven. Besides, no one really cared about the number of times I had written "I mustn't sleep in class" in some loose sheet I'd find in the middle of my disorganized bag.

The first time I ever got detention, I was scared for life and even started crying, promising myself I'd never do something like that again. Now, I've been in detention classes more than I can remember and I usually just ignore the punishment they give me and do nothing for one whole hour.

So I put some earbuds on, Brendon Urie blasting, and started scrolling through random social media. Zack still hadn't seen my message and hadn't been online for even longer.

I put my phone away at the end of detention and was the last one to get out of the classroom.

No one filled the hallways, and most of the lights were already off. It was quite comforting to be in school after everyone left. The silence calmed me down, and the building didn't look the same when there weren't at least three couples making out, three kids fighting with each other, and teachers walking around screaming at the ones fighting or making out.

Then, I felt a grip on my wrist and before I knew it, I was pinned against the wall.

I felt those familiar lips on mine and couldn't help but to smile a bit.

"I haven't seen you all day, " I whispered.

He didn't reply and shut me up with one of his passionate kisses. His hand grabbed my waist and his lips connected to mine perfecting the entire day. Suddenly, I wasn't mad anymore.

He didn't let me speak for about two minutes that looked like hours in heaven. When he finally pulled out of the kiss, his eyes took a quick look at my mouth and all he said was.

"I had to take care of a few things..." in his voice, I could sense a bit of fear, insecurities and even regret.

"Yeah, sure, no problem... How did you know I was here?"

"That Tyler guy told me you got detention."

"How did you know he was going to know?"
"Well, he's your fucking friend."
"Yeah, and he's high all the time, I could be dead and he wouldn't notice..."
He chuckled.
"Well, I got lucky, I guess."
He pulled me for another kiss and stared into my eyes.
"I missed you, " he whispered.
"Oh, shut up, you needy bitch, we were together last night"
He laughed and shrugged.
"I was just trying to be sweet..."
"You give me vomits, " I smiled and started walking away from him.
"Well, fuck you, then, " and I could sense the little smile on his lips even though I wasn't looking at him.
I turned back and gave him the finger. He showed me his middle finger back and we just smiled like little children.