Chapter 63: The Creature Is Pretty Poorly Designed For This Enviroment

Published: 26th Dec 2020

I was gonna publish this a few days ago but it wasn't complete (I got lazy) and I thought I may as well publish it around Christmas.

Anyway, enjoy

*****This chapter will be in third person****

Several hours ago...

He'd never been one for the whole 'Team' idea. To him, it was all creatures for themselves. Maybe it would be ok for families to stick together, but he'd never really had that either. Not even a pod. He was alone, and that was the way he liked it. No one to worry about or protect. Of course, he got lonely, but he could make his fun! The ocean held endless opportunities. He was living life on his own, and certainly didn't expect it to change anytime soon!

So when he saw the intruder, his initial thought was to move away as quickly as he could. But something in him just, sort of, switched on. And instead, he found himself swimming closer. He didn't even know what it was yet. What was the harm in a little glance?

Seeing the strange creature up close, he figured out what it was. It was one of the strange two-legged land-walkers. They were dangerous—he was immediately on edge and readying to defend himself, or run—yet this one made to move to attack. It wasn't even looking at him.

It was moving, though. No, not moving. Struggling. It was trying to swim to the surface. It wasn't getting far. What was with the big deal with the surface? It's all choppy and chaotic. He didn't know what to think at first, he moved closer out of curiousness.

But then he realised what was wrong when the two-legged slowed and lost consciousness. He knew what was wrong, now that the creature floated aimlessly in the water, unaware. The creature needed air. It isn't built for the ocean like he is.

But why would he ever help one of them? Its kind hates his kind. Hunt them, kill them. For sports. He swam a circle around the thing. It didn't have any shiny claws that they use to harm his kind. It wasn't armed. For the first time in his life, he thought, maybe they're not all bad. This one wouldn't be able to attack him, much less harm him.

Finally, he made up his mind. There was no going back from this moment. So, he swam forward through the water and grabbed the creature firmly in his talons. He knew where he would take it.

He glanced around himself just to be sure he wasn't being observed, and seeing not a single soul paying him any mind, which was the usual, he shot off through the water with the creature clutched close to him.

He sped as fast as he could through the environment skillfully, swimming under and around rock structures so swiftly that if you blinked, you would see nothing but a blur of bubbles left behind.

Passing through schools of fish (and snagging a few as a snack), a pod of dolphins, and even swimming alongside a manta ray, he finally sees his cave in the distance. Nestled between rock formations on one side, and fields of seaweed and other sea plants on the other, it was the perfect home.

Shooting down towards the entrance, still clutching the creature tightly to himself, he twists at the last moment and folds his thins in against himself to make the tight opening. This was why this was his cave and nobody else's. It's practically hidden from sight, so no one ever bothered him. That, and the fact that the entrance is so small that most creatures can't fit.

He swam through the dark tunnel, knowing his way around like an expert before he finally surfaced at his den. He stepped up the sandbank and dropped the creature with a harsh thud so that it was laying mostly out of the water.