Chapter 50: The Unforgiving Sea

Astrid's POV

The water is rocky, tossing the boat this way and that. The waves become higher, choppier, and more merciless as night turns to day. It gets to the point where we cling for our lives, the fear of capsizing bigger than ever as all we see around us is empty, raging ocean. It's such a small boat, after all, and we were lucky it didn't sink as soon as we stepped into the damn thing two hours before sunrise this morning.

The sea spray drenching us is a constant reminder of how close to death we may be. There are eleven of us, and a baby. A baby that Won't. Stop. Crying! Our low spirits and pissy moods have caused us all to threaten to throw the thing overboard several times. Everyone but his mother, and Tuffnut of course. I don't know what they see good out of this situation.

All I see is bad; the baby has been lucky to survive this far. But surviving the day and a half row to our allies? Doubt it. Alas, we don't give up, turning what is usually a seventeen hour boat ride into this hell of a day and a half...well, that's just we predicted, anyway. We didn't predict any storms, that's for sure.

But we're Vikings, and we'll roll with the fact we might not survive. Or how we might not arrive in time to save Berk. Hell, we mighten even make it halfway across for all we know! But with the storm brewing in the background, we carry on pushing the paddles through the water, we just keep going, praying to the almighty Thor to give us a damn break. To Odin to keep his son in check. To..anyone.

We were damn lucky go get away as it is. Considering we almost got caught like five times as we moved from our campsite to the fishing hut, where this single rowboat waiting for us in the dark. And I swear, I swear on my life, someone was watching us.

**Flashback**

"Hurry up!" I hiss at everyone as we all work together to carry the boat to the water, checking over our shoulders and knocking out an Outcast or two along the way. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to bring much, just a fishing net, handful of weapons, and the basket of fish.

As we lower the small boat into the water at Thor's beach, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And as we all jump out of the waste deep water and into the boat, wincing as it creaks and groans under all the weight, I turn my head to look around us, scanning the surroundings. My eyes widen when the catch on a shadow standing next to a boulder. The very boulder I sat on at the funeral. Chills spiral up my spine as I see them, but I look away for a second, look back and..whatever it was, is gone.

Everyond start rowing desperately, trying to get away from here, and I couldn't agree with them more. Weird thing is, no one else mentioned the figure. Did they even see it? Is it all in my head?  Something cells me it was real. And I don't know whether I'm more relieved or unnerved. Relieved because I'm not insane, unnerved because it's real. Of course, no one would believe me. So telling them is out of the question. I just don't know how long I could possibly keep it to myself...

**flashback over**

I raise a hand and wipe the sea water off my face, the salt already stinging my eyes. I'm squinting into the distance, not sure if i'm hallucinating, or if it's actually real. Around me, all sound pauses. It's like the world has just been turned silent. Not a sound reaches my ears. Not the waves crashing heavily against the side of the boat, threatening to tear holes in the delicate craft. Not the clatter of oars hitting the ground of the boat. Not the murmuring of those around me. Not the rain hitting us. In fact, i'm so engrosed in what I'm staring at I don't even notice when the boat starts to turn over. I fail to notice the murmuring was yelling. Or how the clattering was actually people scrambling violently, trying to right the boat. I don't even snap out of it until I'm submerged in water, gasping for air but taking in sea water instead. I start to panic, the current spinning me around so much I can no longer see which way is up. The terror is taking over my body, as I feel the unlessening need for oxygen in my lungs, and no idea where to go to get it. Before I know it, I've slammed into something hard, and my vision goes dark. 

.............................. ---- .............................. ---- ...........................
Woo! I love cliffhangers! Don't you? *evil smirk*

Yeah maybe you were wondering what was happening with Astrid and the gang (+ Randi).

Okay, so, I've been reading this really good paper book recently, and enjoying it too, and then it got to this part:

Avery was trapped in the stare of the last cat. It was the biggest, the leader of the pack. Neither was moving. I watched transfixed, unsure what was happening, and as I stared at them I saw Avery move towards the animal.
"Don't–" I started to warn, but he hissed at me to be quite, never taking his eyes from the yellow gaze of his oponement. He moved right up to it, heedless of the danger, and after what seemed an age frozen in silent communication, Avery reached out with his palm...

If that doesn't remind you of a certain one legged person, I don't know what will...
(to be fair it ended like Avery reached out with his palm and forced the creature onto its back. I'm pretty sure Hiccup didn't force Toothless onto his back, but you know.)

It's like you can't even read a normal book without floating back here! The books called Avery, by the way, and it's by Charlotte McConaughy. It's a really good book, if you like dystopian/drama/romance/action/heartbreak/fantasy. I'm hooked! I wanna buy the sequel haha.

🍰 Eat Some Cake 🍰