Chapter 9: Dragons go for the kill, except the deadliest of them all.

Strikers POV
I jerk awake and find myself slowly standing up. I stretch my body and find that I feel well enough to fly. But where would I go?
The queen is NOT an option.

I stretch open my wings. I mean, they feel okay. I recon I will be fine to fly. They just needed a small rest.
Hmm, I guess I'll just figure it out, where to go, that is.

I shake myself, ready to get out of here.

I pump my wings, leaping off the ground. I aim for above the rocky wall.
Closer.....closer....almost there!

But I don't make it.

I feel myself uncontrollably fall back to the ground.
What the Eel?!
Go again!
I fly again, but I get the same result.
Damn it. Why is this happening? Again!

I try one more time. And I fail. I fire at the ground, frustrated.
How?!
I bring my tail in front of me to see a big problem. My eyes widen momentarily and I look away,
WHAT THE HECK?! NO, NO, NO! THIS IS SO BAD!
My tail. It's missing a fin. I can't believe this! I must of been too tired before to notice.

I can't fly with only one tail fin! I'm useless without it! Every dragon knows that! A dragon without a wing or a fin is a dragon with out a life!
I slam my tail on the ground angrily.

Suddenly, I hear a noise and I look up. Crouched at a high platform thing is a little viking male. Quite scrawny, really.
Hang on, it's THE little Viking male!
I tilt my head slightly in recognition and we hold a stare down.

Well....... I don't have time for this.
I turn away.

Soon the Viking leaves.
I try again to get out of the cove once again, but fail.
Grumpily, I curl up and try to go to sleep, but my tail is a reminder so I move it away from my view.
I just can't believe this. Unacceptable.
Hiccup's POV
As soon as I get the chance, I dash out of the arena, with one thought in mind.

Gobber said "Remember: Dragons always-- always-- go for the kill."
So Dragons always go for the kill. Just like that Gronkle did.
Always.
Always.
I track through the forest again because I want answers.
ALWAYS.
I approach the bola and pick it up, weighing it with my hands.
"So, why didn't you?" I ask out loud, to no one in particular.

I see a trail, my curious side gets ahold of me, so I follow it.

I leap over a log and come to a rocky area.

It leads to a big cove. I look around and notice it's emptiness.
"Well, this was stupid!" I sigh. I spot three circular black things on the ground, so I drop to a crouch and pick one up.

Is it what I think it is?
I go to touch it with my other hand when suddenly something swoops by me with a screech, causing me to stumble backwards, dropping the black object.

U turn my head to see what it was. I watch in surprise as the Night Fury claws and grasps at the wall but let's go and falls back down to the ground, just managing to miss the water.
It's still here?!
My eyes widen and I smile a little, before looking to my left and hopping over a big tree route and stopping at a closer ledge, trying to get a better look.

I watch as the dragon leaps off a log and flaps its wings, but fails again to get out and falls back down to the ground.
I continue to watch the dragon as it tries to fly again but fails. I let out a small gasp.
I should try and sketch it.

I quickly pull my journal out from its pocket on the inside of my right side of my vest, scrambling to get my pencil and a fresh page.

I look up with my pencil ready. The dragon takes off and tries to escape, but the poor creature fails again and lands back down, letting out a screech of frustration.
Did I just think this creature is poor?! It almost killed me!
....almost. Almost, not definitely killed me. That's something.
I hurriedly sketch the dragon from a birds eye view, finishing the little sketch in a matter of seconds.