33

Aspen

Sixteen months later

I would have thought having a house to ourselves, living together, confessing our love, we'd be together. I mean we were, Chris and I were a couple too much of people's confusion and judgement.

They didn't get it, they didn't see the love we had. It wasn't easy, not that I knew it would be. People judged and wagered too much in others lives. They whispered and sneered, all of which I had gotten half used to. But that wasn't the reason for my discomfort or uneasiness.

No, what caused me to dwell too much on this relationship was the fact that with each passing week, Chris and I spent less time together.

In the beginning there were dates, there were talks and walks, there were flowers and kisses. We had those moments in our lives, brief but intense. Moments that made me blush each time I thought about them, it didn't matter how much we did it because I don't think I'd get used to it. To the fact that I had him... or some part of him, I didn't know exactly.

I knew I shouldn't think about them, about the positions or the words yet I was, at work. I mean no one could read my head, maybe their could read my expressions but not my head. And God I hopped no one got in my head, not with the many thoughts that I had. On the bright side I don't think anyone could see my blushing face, not that I was alone, I think.

Looking up, there was in fact no one in my immediate eye sight, then again it was the library and as more time passed, the less people came in, less souls to touch the beautifully written stories of heroes and heroines. It was mournful in a way, too see all these great books gather dust, untouched and unread.

This was my life, well part of it.

During the mornings I took core classes at the community college that was walking distance from here. I didn't know what I was studying for, what I wanted to do a year from now, five or even ten but it didn't matter, not now. I had time, for now I'd get a simple diploma that could land me a job somewhere else.

Chris was more than happy to help me find my passion, but so far the only passion I had was in bed. Which I knew was not something I could work with, so I needed something else.

So that's why I got a job in the library, there were millions, okay I was exaggerating. There were thousands of books, all of them full of ideas, with wise words that could lead me to do something, that could possibly show me what I could do but so far I had ruled out numbers.

They were so complicated and it wasn't inky numbers but letters, letters I didn't even know what language they were in. So that was ruled out along with science. There were so many formulas and long words, all of it swimming in my head slowly, trying to understand how in the world Chris loved it.

Someone had told me I could teach but I was hesitant about that. Would I be a good teacher? Did I have the necessary life skills to be one? I knew I didn't have the qualifications but I mean I did like kids, that was a start. But I also knew teaching was different, that some kids needed special needs, other types of attention. That I would have to be on my toes at all times, paying close attention and listening carefully.

It was hard to find something to love, to know you'll dedicate yourself to. I'd have to choose soon if I wanted to continue my studies but as of right now, I was happy, sorta.

Pushing away the book I was rummaging through, I pulled out my phone from underneath another stack, seeing a message from Chris. Hope swelled in me at the thought of him coming to see me, a smile playing on my lips at the prospect only to falter as I read his words.

Late work. Sorry :(

I tried not to groan, I tried not to be frustrated with him about his work but I was. Today he had left earlier than me, and had come in later than usual. I honestly didn't know how he was able to stay late, how he could work well over 12 hours.