1

Aspen

"I heard she was learning to become a nun," I heard someone say. Whoever said it wasn't trying to be discreet, I could hear them perfectly as I sat feet away from them.

It was a lie but she didn't know that. And it was also a sin to assume what I was doing in a convent for twelve years. Yet I didn't say anything to her, resisting the urge to turn around.

It was true that I did go to a religious school and it was also true that most of the girls there were destined to become nuns. But I, even though my teachers wanted me to, I didn't wish to spend the rest of my life serving God. I mean no disrespect to the almighty, but I just couldn't see myself wasting away my years doing something I didn't enjoy.

Even after twelve years in a rigorous school, I just never fell to love it. I respect it, I did keep values close to my heart. But it was just too dull, boring. And I wanted more than just walking from church to church and praying.

"I bet she doesn't even know how a penis looks like," they giggled, drawing me back to the conversation. I felt my cheeks turn red, that was true.

In fact it was so true, that the only men I had encountered my whole life was my dad. May he rest in peace. The priest that presided over mass at school and well that was all. Well that was until a few months ago.

I mean it was a Catholic School, the nuns weren't exactly eager to teach anyone the male parts. In fact they had shielded us from almost all of society. All their sins, they would hiss at us when we asked about why we didn't have a tv.

Thinking back, I understood their protectiveness. The world was cruel. But a tv? We were little girls, we just wanted to see the cartoons we heard about when we would go out of the premises of the school. Which was rare. We were allowed to leave, only if our parents allowed us to. And if they took us out, which again they didn't. It was almost as if those who were sent to that school weren't wished. We were just sent off, seen once or twice a year.

I myself had barely seen my parents growing up. Had seen them only for important dates and a few get alongs. But that was it.

In total I saw my dad 22 times before he died. My mother I saw her 40 times before she officially withdrew me from school when she told me about her sickness.

I was shocked to say the least when she came to my school and took me. She was fragile, skinny and her brown eyes were empty. Nothing like the woman that had visited me months before, with lush black hair and full cheeks. I was even more shocked when she introduced me to her husband.

My now guardian until I turned 18.

I heard the teacher shut everyone up, her blue eyes on me as she took a seat up front. It had been like that since I enrolled in this high school, teachers would look at me before starting school. Weighing me out to see if I was comfortable enough. Which I was slowly easing to be.

All honesty I hated this school, if only because of the people that interrupted class every second. If they had done that back with the nuns, they would have spent their weekends scrubbing the windows. But apart from that, I was fine with this school.

From the constant chatter of people, to the looks I got. I knew it was normal, after all I was the new girl. The girl that was enrolled six months before graduation.

With a heavy sigh, I watched the clock. Waiting ever so patiently for the bell to ring.

I was so eager to go home and watch a marathon of show's. Even though the nuns were right, the TV was the works of the devil. Yet I watched it, it made me feel rebellious. But there was only so much I could stand to see, the shows on tv were filled with vulgar language and sexual tension. They showed lies, truths and misinformation. All of it which I was still getting used to.