7

Aspen

I didn't know the full effect I was having on Chris until I saw it. I was no longer that stupid to the looks I got. Not after receiving many improper comments, which I disregarded. For reasons, I didn't like them. The comments weren't sweet, only crude.

I paraded around the house in the new clothes I bought. I didn't see anything wrong about it, Chris had said it didn't bother him. Therefore I was in no fault wearing my clothes, I was young getting to know the world. It was innocent.

But of course, it was a lie. My mind had been filled with very inappropriate thoughts sometimes. But it was normal, teenage hormones, right? No it wasn't, my thoughts would be considered normal if they weren't filled with a certain person I lived with.

Chris didn't point out my behaviour, didn't call me out on how I dressed. I knew he cared, but he let me be who I wanted to be.

And I wanted to be free. I needed to be free, unrestricted from all I knew. I needed to know what was right and what was wrong. Because now, I understood how much power the nuns had over us. How they had manipulated the world around us, making us believe them.

I didn't completely rebel. It was hard to do so, to get rid of what was engraved in me. And I didn't think I could ever change completely, but there were a few things I could change.

But back to that day I saw my accidental effect on him. I wasn't trying, I mean not on purpose. Yes I did want him to notice me, but it was an accident.

That day I wore a white dress that my friends had said was gorgeous, and I did like it. But it was too short, well short to my standards. It was a little above my knee, but on the bright side it had a really cute neckline.

Lilith had gushed how much I looked like an angel, joked about that with the way I was. I was one. And I guess it could be true, but if she knew what went through my mind at moments...well it wouldn't be such a joke then.

Chris had a night shift, so I didn't see him when I left. Only when I crossed the threshold to the living room did he see me. His grey eyes almost popped out as he looked me up and down. Heat rushing to my cheeks at his intense gaze.

He sat in a recliner, a glass with a brown liquid in his hand. "Hi Chris," I greeted him as I dropped my bag arm off the couch. Forgetting that in the car I had been looking for a paper, and I had gotten out with a haste that I forgot to close it. Books and papers flew out, pencils rolling across the floor. I bent down to pick them up, my dress riding up my thighs.

I shoved it all back in, flustered my clumsiness. "Sorry," I apologized as I stood up. Pushing my hair back, gaze settling on Chris.

I actually stumbled back at the unusual color of his eyes, at the tightness in his shoulders. The way he seemed to hold the glass in his hand too tightly, fingers turning white. I was half scared by the force he was holding himself, afraid that if he did that much longer he'd break the glass.

He broke it. Glass shattering in his palm, cutting into skin. My eyes widened as I saw blood, but Chris didn't so much as flinch. Only looked down at his palm quickly before looking back at me.

I stood there for a few seconds, just watching his blood drop to the floor. My body jolted as it dwelled on what to do, what I needed to do since Chris was just frozen, unfazed. I fled into the nearest bathroom, searching the cabinets for the first aid kit.

Running across the living room, I slid to my knees before him. Being careful not to move too close to the pieces of glass, I looked up to see Chris looking down at me. Beautiful grey eyes hooded with an emotion that made my stomach flutter. I blushed deeply before turning my gaze back to his hand, seeing the blood and small pieces of glass in his hand.