2

Aspen

Five weeks in and I didn't feel like going to school. But I had to. 

Or did I? 

Chris wouldn't know I didn't go. I mean he'd find out eventually, but because of his busy schedule it would be long before he did. But if I didn't go I'd be committing a bad deed. I couldn't just bail on school just because I felt like it. I was taught responsibility and school was something I was responsible for. If I wanted to go to college. 

So I did go to school, waiting on the sidewalk for my friend to pick me up. Chris had told me he'd teach me to drive, but it was hard. I couldn't just magically learn in days. But thank God that I had gained two friends. 

They were something else, then again everyone was something else. I wasn't used to the boldness of them, or anything really. But then again, they asked me to go eat with them. They helped me navigate high school, they introduced me to people. Trying to help me fit in with them. 

Though with the clothes I wore I didn't really fit in. They were open, bold, uncaring for what people thought. Which made me look at them in awe, impressed by their words. 

It wasn't peer pressure, but the more I spent around them. Around girls in general, I felt myself want to change. To at least wear clothes that fitted me well and not size too big shirts. And I felt I needed that, needed to leave the life I had. Well some aspects of it. 

A blue car came to a stop in front of me, windows rolled all the way down. Lilith in the driver's seat while Penelope sat in the passenger seat. "Get in girl," Lilith tilted her head to the backseat, chewing her gum. 

I did as I was told, sliding inside and buckling up before the car lurched forward. "So I was thinking," Lilith said nonchalantly as she took a turn, Penelope turning in her seat to offer me a muffin. I took it from her hand, mouthing a thank you. 

"What were you thinking?" I asked as I looked at her through the rearview mirror, her brown eyes sparkling as she took a quick glance at Penelope. 

They were up to something, I could see it. "Well you see. We accept you how you are. I mean you are gorgeous even with those baggy clothes, but it's high school," Lilith groaned out. 

"And you are here in the free world away from judgmental nuns," Penelope interjected. 

"And?" I asked hesitantly. 

"We'd like to do a makeover on you. Not to change who you are completely but maybe refine some of your looks," Lilith grimaced. 

I pressed my lips together, I had been thinking about it. Would it hurt? I didn't have to change all of a sudden, it could be a slow process- "Look Aspen. We know how hard it is. But there are boys out there. I mean it would be nice if one asked you on a date. Right?" Penelope interrupted my thoughts. 

There were boys. I did want to get asked out. But…"It'll be a girl's day." 

A girls day. I had spent almost 24/7 with girls, but I doubted what we did in school would be considered girls day. I opened my mouth, to agree. It wouldn't be so bad right? "Okay." 

The car came to a sudden stop, Lilith turning around in her seat. "Serious?-" she shook her head. "Wait don't answer. Tomorrow. We'll pick you up at 10." 

And that was that. I had my first girl's day tomorrow. I'd learn what that meant, what one did. 

Arriving at school, my mind kept spinning with what we would do. It wouldn't be bad to have a change before my 18th birthday, it could be a gift to myself. A new beginning to whatever I would do later on. Classes were quick, my mind sagging as the day ended.