18 The Will.

Zoe

I walked into my grandfathers office and took out a cigarette. I only saw the man once. When I graduated music school. Then I never saw him again. Or anybody from my mother's side of the family. I swiveled in my chair.
"Zoe?"
I turned and looked right at my aunt.
"Aunt Carla." I said. She sat far away from me. It didn't come as a surprise that she would.
"No one was going to tell me that he was dead or that the funeral was last week."
"Everyone hardly knows you. Why would they." I clicked my tongue. There it was. The hate. The clear distaste for me all because my mother left. My uncle walked in and also sat far. I crossed my legs.
"So you weren't going to tell me about the funeral."
"Like you'd actually show up." My uncle said. I shrugged. A few more people walked in. I had to find out through an email. The only family member that liked me was my mother cousin. Lauren walked in holding her daughter. She smiled when she noticed me.
"Omg Zoe." I stood up and gave her a hug.
"When will you stop growing."
"Never."
The lawyer walked in and sat right in the middle.
He pulled out a laptop. Everybody was here for one thing. His money. I was only here because his lawyer had begged me. We all listened as he talked about my grandfathers will.
I slowly stood up. I hardly knew him and he did not have a great relationship with my mother. I hugged my great aunte.
"Im going to go. I don't think he left anything for me."
"Why would he." My aunte chimed in. I scoffed.
"Actually.. Mr Kämpfer has left quit alot to you. That's why I emailed you." I slowly sat back down.
"What about the rest of us.."
"I was going to get there but Mr van dee zee was about to leave. Mr Kämpfer left strict instructions to all of you."
"Get on with it then." My aunte stood up.
The lawyer sighed.
"Mr Ryam Kämpfer you will receive your father's car collection. Carla Kämpfer you receive the family home in the Netherlands." The lawyer looked at me.
"Mr van dee Zee well Kämpfer the company is all yours and several properties."
"He left the company to him...HIM." My uncle walked out the room.
"Did you know about this?" My aunte looked at me.
"No..." I knew nothing about running a company. The lawyer cleared his throat.
"You also get the farm house that's in the UK and the shares from other companies your grandfather owned." I massaged my temple.
"Why would he..."
"We don't know. He made the changes right before he passed." The lawyer closed his laptop."
"What i just get a fucking house." My aunte walked out slamming the door behind her. My great aunte smiled before slowly walking out.
"I'll meet you for coffee later." I stood up.
"Mr Van Dee Zee, Im sure Mr Kämpfer had his reasons."
"Im a composer...I know nothing about business."
"You won't have to work much. You only need to be there for the big discussions." We shook hands.
"Good luck. I'll be contacting you soon. Sir." He walked out.
I sighed. I took my phone out.

Stacy> would you like to get some coffee?
I smiled. Some actual good news.
<what time?
Stacy >Im almost done at work. Maybe we can just get the coffee here.
<see there ;)