28

GREATNESS
— 28. Estranged

 Estranged

It was late by the time Ylva returned to the tent she shared with Bjorn. He was still wearing his war paint, blood still on his face as he stared down at the fire in front of him with a blank expression on his face.

Ylva sighed and walked over to him, placing a hand on his back while she rested her chin on his shoulder. She pressed a kiss to his shoulder, only to find that Bjorn didn't react to it in the slightest.

"What is on your mind, husband?" She asked him after a moment of silence.

"Everything," Bjorn admitted in a whisper, looking shameful, "About Kattegat. About Ragnar. About how I've been a poor father."

Hearing the last part of his confession, Ylva sighed and nodded her head in agreement. "I have not been the best of parents, either. I did not even know my own son was alive," She confessed, looking ashamed, "I have thoughts, too, though. I have dreams. Dreams I still not have achieved. We have six children yet only one is with us now. One is trapped in Kattegat, our two youngest are half a world away and Gyda, our eldest, who is half a world away as well, in love with a Saxon king, while my other daughter Freya is not as much our enemy as I once believed. She did what she did for love. It would seem my daughters are cursed with a weakness that is the same as mine. I am a fool for love. I wonder if our next child will be the same."

Hearing Ylva mention their children, Bjorn turned to Ylva, his eyes widening slightly. "I have rarely heard you speak of our unborn child," He admitted as he turned to face her, sighing, "Are you happy?"

Ylva nodded and poured a drink for herself. "I am happy now. Our unborn child brings me hope for the future. Perhaps the seer was wrong and our child will live," She paused, beginning to smile softly, "I also do like the thought of carrying your child inside me. The child of Bjorn Ironside."

Bjorn smiled at Ylva's words, watching as she walked closer to him. "You are the most extraordinary woman I ever met, you know. You never cease to amaze me, my love," He admitted, turning to face her.

"I am just like any other woman, Bjorn. I don't want to have to do anything I don't want to do," She admitted as she moved closer to Bjorn, beginning to untie his shirt, "But I was born in a place of power that allowed me to achieve my dreams and I killed any man who tried to tell me I couldn't do what I wanted to do. I didn't want to be trapped and I killed Erik to make sure I wasn't. I want to free and being with you allows me to do so."

Bjorn smiled and stared down at Ylva. He began to lean forward to kiss her, only to have Ylva lightly shove him back. "I want to fight," She admitted, bearing her teeth as Bjorn moved toward the bed without breaking eye contact with her, "For that is when I feel most alive. I want to be one of the most famous shield maidens of all time and I wish for our children to be as great of warriors as we are," She explained, shoving Bjorn onto the bed before she knelt before his parted legs, "And I want to be a mystery to you, even after being married to you for all these years and I am. I want to be at your side, now and always, and so we are. I want us to explore new lands together and rule at each other's side at equals."