3

GREATNESS
— 3. Algeciras

    They spent days on the boats and yet, Bjorn, Ylva, and the rest of the group still couldn't find their destination

    They spent days on the boats and yet, Bjorn, Ylva, and the rest of the group still couldn't find their destination. It was foggy on the water and Ylva was sitting beside Bjorn, her head rested on his shoulder.

Hvitserk sat near them while Rollo was holding up a crystal in hopes of finding out which direction they were going in.

"Where are we, do you suppose?" Rollo asked the group curiously.

"España," Bjorn informed his uncle in a calm tone as he pointed to a certain part of the map, "About here."

"If we're lucky," Rollo commented as he sat down beside them.

"Or if the Gods will it," Ylva argued as she turned to glare at Rollo, causing his face to fall, "Or have you completely forgotten about the gods, Rollo, the Christian turncoat?"

"You hate me," Rollo replied in a calm tone, "I don't blame you."

"Why wouldn't I? You betrayed us," She snapped at Rollo in a venomous tone, "We would have taken Paris if it weren't for you siding with them. The past ten years wouldn't have gone as they had if it weren't for your betrayal."

Angered, Ylva shot Rollo a hateful glare before she stood up and walked over to another part of the boat.

Bjorn sighed in defeat before he, too, stood up and followed after her.

  At the other part of the boat, Harald was standing alone, watching Ylva and Bjorn closely when his brother walked up to him.

They watched Bjorn place his hands on Ylva's shoulders as she turned to face him, trying to calm her down after her outburst toward Rollo.

"What are you thinking about?" Halfdan found himself asking his brother curiously.

"I was just wondering if Bjorn Ironside and Ylva the Dread are cursed, just like their fathers before them," Harald confessed in a calm tone, "If we flounder, then the gods are surely displeased."

"Then what shall we do?" Halfdan questioned in a hushed tone.

"We should not trust in their star, but in our own," Harald told him quietly, "One day, we must overcome the Lothbroks and Ylva's family, for how else can I become the King of all Norway? And sometimes I think, why wait?"

"The gods will give us a sign," Halfdan whispered to his brother, beginning to smile as he looked upwards, "They love us."

____

The following day, the fog disappeared and they finally laid eyes on the land, leading to the men blowing horns to alert the others. Ylva was sitting beside Bjorn across from Rollo and Sihtric.