27

GREATNESS
— 27. Absent Parents

  At their camp set up on the border between Ashton and Kattegat, Ylva sat underneath a tent with King Olaf, Rorik, Bjorn, Gunnhild, Amma, and Hvitserk when Harald walked over

"What do we do now, huh?" Harald asked, groaning in pain as he sat near them, "There is no point to us attacking the gates again. We will never get in that way."

As she looked around, Ylva sighed when she locked eyes on Hvitserk. He looked furious about losing, but she had a feeling he was upset about something else too.

"We have lost a great many brave warriors. The crows are probably feasting on their hearts and livers right now," King Olaf explained, earning a glare from Rorik.

Ylva sighed at the man's words and rolled her eyes. "Is that supposed to help?" She complained, wincing as she tended to the wound on her shoulder from the arrow she had been shot with. It didn't really bother her, though. She had gotten shot with arrows so many times in the past, it barely even affected her.

"If it was me, I would walk away from this battle," Olaf continued, only to be cut off.

"You would like for us to be cowards?" Rorik asked the man in disbelief, "Kattegat is our home. We cannot give up."

"I do not see a way to win," Olaf complained and Bjorn turned to him, sighing in annoyance before he stood up, "Ivar is clever. Everything you all think, he has already thought."

"You know, Ivar isn't as smart as you make him out to be," Ylva complained, leading to the whole group turning to her, "Compared to you lot, perhaps he's smart, but he's not as clever as you claim him to be. He still makes mistakes. He is an ordinary man, after all. Not a god as the people of Kattegat have been forced to believe."

"We cannot win against him," Olaf replied as he shook his head in disapproval.

Unable to take it anymore, Hvitserk stood up and turned to face Olaf. "Bjorn and I are sons of Ragnar Lothbrok.  Ylva was trained by him. We don't give in."

"That's fine," Harald spoke up as he leaned back in his seat, "But Ivar is a son of Ragnar as well."

"So what?" Bjorn snapped at King Harald, who began to laugh at him.

"So what?" He repeated after Bjorn, laughing as he extended his arms out.

____

Ylva was walking outside when she spotted Hvitserk sitting in a tent alone, a cup of mead in his hands. He looked to be in deep thought, which caused Ylva to smile.

She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him from the back, playfully kissing him on the cheek. "What is on your mind, dear Hvitserk?" She asked him in a playful tone and Hvitserk didn't smile as he usually would, "What is wrong?"