2

GREATNESS
— 2. Duke Rollo

  On their journey to the Mediterranean, Ylva stood beside Bjorn in front of the map they had found in Paris

On their journey to the Mediterranean, Ylva stood beside Bjorn in front of the map they had found in Paris. They were nearing the Frankish coast that belonged to Rollo, which made Ylva feel uneasy.

"Frankia," Bjorn informed the group as he turned to them and Floki nodded his head slightly.

"Are you going to try and contact Uncle Rollo?" Hvitserk found himself asking and Ylva turned to face him with a knowing look on her face.

"What do you think?" She replied and Hvitserk stared up at her, trying to hide his uneasiness.

She looked ahead, spotting some Frankish boats sailing toward them. "Here we go," She muttered, turning to exchange an uneasy look with Bjorn.

____

They made it inside and only a small number of them went to see Rollo, which included Bjorn, Ylva, Floki, Sihtric, Hvitserk, Helga, Harald, and Halfdan. They walked in to see Rollo sitting on a throne alongside his wife, Princess Gisla, and three children.

"See how well treachery pays off, Bjorn," Floki spoke up in a calm tone and Bjorn sighed deeply.

"Don't do anything stupid, Floki," Bjorn warned the older man.

"I've never done anything stupid in my life," Floki retorted as they all came to a stop due to the guards blocking their path with their spears, "But I am contemplating whether dying would be better than dealing with this scum."

Ylva rolled her eyes, sharing an annoyed look with Bjorn as Rollo began to speak to them in French. She heard her name and Bjorn's mentioned first, along with the others.

Rollo stood up and walked closer to the group. He gestured for his guards to raise their spears and allow Bjorn and Ylva to pass, which they ended up doing while the rest of the group stayed where they were.

Ylva slowly walked toward Rollo, glaring at him hatefully. "Has anyone ever told you that you look like a little Christian bitch in your new clothes?" She commented, causing Floki and Sihtric to quietly laugh as they stood with the others.

"I don't want to apologize," Rollo complained to her, "What would be the point? We are where we are," He explained, laughing both Floki and Ylva to scoff loudly, "The gods have spoken."

"The gods, huh?" Ylva retorted with an attitude, knowing for a fact the gods weren't on Rollo's side, "I'm sure the gods turned their backs on you a long time ago, Rollo."

There was a long moment of silence between them as Rollo didn't respond to what she had said. He awkwardly turned, gesturing toward his wife and children. "This is my wife, Princess Gisla," He introduced her as Gisla stood up, "And our children William, Marcellus, Celsa."