16

GREATNESS
— 16. Exile

 Exile

   Later that day, Ylva returned but found herself sitting outside alone. Bjorn spotted his wife and sighed, making his way over to her.

"We have not talked about Halig or Sihtric," He commented and Ylva slowly looked up at him as he knelt beside her.

"There's nothing to talk about," She managed to get out, trying to contain her sadness, "They're gone, dead. There's nothing we can do to change that now."

"Ylva..." He began to say, moving closer to her, "We must speak about this. It's not good to keep all that pain bottled up."

"Our son, Bjorn," She cried out, tears welled in her eyes as she turned to look him in the eye, "They killed our son."

Bjorn sighed, wasting no time hugging Ylva tightly as he tried to comfort her. "It's my fault. I should have never brought him into battle. He was too young," She confessed as she shook his head.

"It was his choice and he was ready. We were simply outnumbered," Bjorn assured her and Ylva continued to cry.

"What about Sihtric? Freya killed him," She began to sob in his arms, unable to control herself, "She killed him. She killed my brother. My brother is dead. And it's my fault."

"It's not your fault," Bjorn argued softly as he shook his head.

"It is," She argued back, causing Bjorn to frown in concern, "I had the chance to kill her and I let her walk away. Because of that, she was able to kill Sihtric."

"You couldn't have known," Bjorn whispered to her softly, moving the hair out of her face as she cried.

"I should have. She's boasted for years about wanting to kill him. I never took her seriously, I never thought she'd betray me like that," Ylva explained and Bjorn wrapped his arms around her tightly as she cried into his chest.

"I can't do this anymore, Bjorn," Ylva cried out, shaking her head, "It hurts. It hurts so much. I can't take it. I can't do this anymore."

"You don't have to," Bjorn whispered to her softly, cupping her face in his hands to make her look him in the eyes, "Not alone, anyway. I promise. You are my wife and I am your husband. We shall be at each other's side, now and always."

Ylva stared up at Bjorn, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she nodded her head. She began to cry once more and Bjorn wasted no time hugging her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

___

  Later that day, Ylva and Bjorn were sitting together by the fire. Bjorn's arm was wrapped around her as she sat with her head rested against his chest. Torvi, Ubbe, Rorik, and Gyda sat nearby as well.