7

GREATNESS
— 7. Curiosity

 It wasn't long before they arrived at King Ecbert's Villa

It wasn't long before they arrived at King Ecbert's Villa. The army looked around, only to see that it seemed as though it was empty.

Bjorn and Ylva exchanged a look, just before stepping forward. Bjorn raised his hands, just before throwing them down. "Charge!" He shouted out and with that, they ran forward with the rest of their forces following soon after.

They used their tools to bust down the gates, which ended up opening on the first try. They entered and looked around. Ylva found herself frowning, noticing just how empty the place seemed to be.

"It's too quiet. Something isn't right," She whispered to Bjorn since all of them were expecting a fight.

Bjorn nodded his head at Ylva's words before turning to address his men. "Be careful. It could be a trap," He warned the group and King Harald wasted no time leading a group inside.

Ylva glanced around, finding herself wary of her surroundings.

A few moments had passed before Harald and Halfdan returned from being inside the villa. "It's empty!" He announced loudly to the group, "They've gone!"

The men began to cheer happily and wasted no time making their way inside the villa. However, out of everyone there, it seemed as though Bjorn and Ylva seemed to be the only ones unhappy.

Bjorn sat down on a platform and Ylva sighed deeply, placing a hand on his shoulder as she took a seat beside him.

"I was truly hoping for at least one more victory before we returned to our journey to the Mediterranean," Bjorn confessed, a disappointed look on his face and Ylva nodded her head agreement, "To avenge not just my father, but the settlement filled with our people that had been slaughtered here by King Ecbert and his son."

"I did, too," Ylva admitted softly as she slowly nodded her head, "But our destiny is not here. It lies elsewhere, in the Meditteranean. I say we figure out what your brothers plan to do and if they want to stay here, we let them. Though that does not mean we have to stay here with them. They are, after all, grown men."

"We must take Freya with us, though," Bjorn insisted, an almost pleading look on his face, "You are right. She cannot be trusted to stay with Ivar alone. You were right all along, about the prophecy. I can see it more than ever. Ivar is going to tear this family apart and if we're not careful, Freya will side him instead of us and if they're together, they'd be impossible to stop."

Ylva remained silent and avoided eye contact with Bjorn, knowing he was right.

They watched as their men brought out numerous chests filled with treasures, causing the smallest of smiles to appear on Ylva's face.

They soon stood up and made their way over to Ivar, but before they could say anything, they watched as the crowd separated, revealing King Ecbert standing there.