14

GREATNESS
— 14. Breaking Point

    On the day of battle, Bjorn was sitting on the ground, Ylva sitting between his legs with his arm wrapped around her

On the day of battle, Bjorn was sitting on the ground, Ylva sitting between his legs with his arm wrapped around her. They had their eyes closed, taking comfort in each other's arms.

"I don't believe I have it within me to kill her," Ylva spoke up softly and Bjorn couldn't help but sigh.

"I know and I do not blame you. But you must remember. If you don't kill her, she'll kill you," Bjorn reminded her and Ylva nodded her head slightly.

"I think I will die on this day," She admitted, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

"No, you won't," Bjorn argued calmly as Ylva turned her head to look him in the eyes, "I know you won't. You're the strongest person I know and the gods surely have more in store for you in the future. They have more in store for both of us. Together. There is not a chance I will lose you or you will lose me," He explained, cupping her face in his hands.

He leaned his forehead against hers and Ylva smiled softly at him before they kissed.

_____

   The battle began that day and despite knowing they were outnumbered, Lagertha's forces charged on Ivar and Harald's, showing no fear.

Lagertha raised her sword and lowered it, leading to Bjorn yelling out the command to let the arrows loose.

The drum beats began louder and Ylva found herself taking deep breaths, trying to remain calm as she thought about the fact that she might have to face her daughter in battle.

With that, the true battle began.

Ylva killed more warriors than she could count, but it didn't matter. They meant nothing to her. They were traitors.

A man swung at her and she ducked, just before slashing him across the belly. She stood back up and turned, only to freeze as she locked eyes on the last person she wanted to face in battle. Freya.

Freya was fourteen at the time, standing outside with a sword in her hand. Her mother stood near her, holding a weapon as well. They had been sparring when Freya brought up what would happen if everyone was right and she turned mad, just like her father and grandfather,

Ylva had sighed at Freya's words, grabbing ahold of Freya's hand as she looked down at her daughter. "No matter who you are or what you become, I will always be there for you. I will always protect you, always love you, no matter what," She explained and Freya smiled up at her mother.

"I know," Freya replied, nodding her head in understanding.

"No, you don't," Ylva argued softly as she shook her head, "You can't possibly know. Not unless you had children of your own."