11

GREATNESS
— 11. Ziyadat Allah

 Ziyadat Allah

Once making it to the deserts of Africa, they ended up riding camels to their destination, which was something Ylva never imagined doing. Riding a camel.

They soon arrived at Ifriqiya, which Ylva didn't see as all that impressive. The desert itself was more fascinating to her.

Climbing off their camels, Bjorn patted his camel on the head before he and Ylva removed their headwraps they had been told to wear to protect them from the heat.

An unknown man walked over to them, speaking to them in Arabic. He ended up telling them to retire to the main tent, where Ziyadat Allah would meet with them shortly.

However, before doing so, they were forced to hand over their weapons, much to Ylva's uneasiness. She hated being parted from her weapons. After all, it seemed as though every time she was forced to do so, something bad ended up happening where she needed her weapons.

They entered the tents, where servants were quick to hand them some drinks. Halfdan and Bjorn were quick to take one while Ylva was much more hesitant.

A man entered and spoke in Arabic, causing them both to turn. Kassia was quick to place her drink down and fall into a kneel.

Halfdan, Ylva, and Bjorn exchanged an awkward look before bowing as well.

After Ziyadat Allah gestured for them to rise back up, they did so. He grabbed Kassia by the hand, helping her stand back up.

He then turned to Bjorn, Halfdan, and Ylva, smiling as he walked over to them. "Northmen, welcome to my home," He greeted them in their native tongue, causing Freya to frown in confusion, "Welcome to the desert. The desert is my mother and father."

"Ah, the sea is my mother," Bjorn replied in a calm tone.

"But not your father?" Ziyadat questioned, raising a curious brow at Bjorn.

"No. Odin is my father," Bjorn replied and Ylva smiled slightly as he nodded her head in agreement, "He is all our fathers."

"Allah is great and Mohammed is his prophet. But there are other prophets. We recognize that." Ziyadat explained as he shrugged his shoulders.

He smiled, pointing his finger at Bjorn and Ylva. "You are Bjorn Ironside and Ylva the Dread," He told them and Bjorn nodded in response, "Fame travels far."

"How can you speak our language?" Bjorn asked the man, a concerned look on his face.

"That is easy. I have met Rus Vikings from the Kievan empire many times. I have been pleased to have helped them with the emperor," He explained, much to Ylva's confusion.

"Are you not the enemy of the emperor?" Halfdan frowned, clearly just as confused as Ylva.

"By no means," Ziyadat replied, giving them a puzzled look, "Why? Why should I seek such an enemy?"