15

GREATNESS
— 15. Exile

      Bjorn and Ylva were eleven at the time, sitting at a table together eating their evening meal alongside Gyda

Bjorn and Ylva were eleven at the time, sitting at a table together eating their evening meal alongside Gyda. Lagertha and Ragnar had gone to Kattegat for two days and left Ylva in charge, which didn't settle well with Bjorn.

He believed he deserved to be the head of the farm while his mother and father were gone. He didn't believe it was fair Ylva could appear out of nowhere and suddenly be appointed the boss of them.

Bjorn was older than her by two moons. He thought that reason enough for him to be in charge.

"I want to go see my Uncle Rollo," Bjorn suddenly spoke up, causing Gyda and Ylva to turn to look at him, "And I plan to go after dinner."

"I gave Ragnar my word that I would look after you both here," Ylva informed him and Bjorn let out a large scoff.

"You are not looking after us!" Bjorn complained as he gestured between himself and Gyda, "We look after ourselves. You act like an adult but you're even younger than I am."

"Yet who is the most mature?" Ylva retorted calmly, causing Bjorn to fall silent.

Gyda quietly chuckled, earning a glare from Bjorn while Ylva smiled.

"I don't know even know why you're staying with us. You came here out of nowhere, with only the clothes on your back and a need to boss us all around and Father lets you. I don't understand it. He said you were only staying a few days. It's been months! Why won't you leave already? I share a room already with Gyda. I don't want to share a room too. Don't you have your own home to stay at?"

By the end of his rant, Bjorn's face fell, noticing how Ylva looked genuinely hurt by his words. He watched as she poured herself a cup of ale but instead of drinking it, she threw the contents of it in Bjorn's face. She shot him a glare before storming out of the home.

Bjorn sighed deeply and wiped the ale off his face. He groaned and turned to Gyda, who was giving him a disapproving look. "What?" He asked her in an annoyed tone.

"Don't you hear Father and Mother talking? Ylva has no place to go. Her father is trying to kill her. He locked her brothers up in dungeons and if her brother Sihtric hadn't helped her escape, she would have been killed in her sleep," Gyda explained, causing Bjorn's eyes to widen.

He sighed deeply in defeat and stood up. He glanced at Gyda, just before walking outside. It was raining, but Bjorn didn't care. He walked through the field before spotting Ylva at a tree.

"I didn't know the reason you were staying with us. I'm sorry for snapping at you the way you did," Bjorn spoke up and Ylva rolled her eyes at him.

"I don't want your pity," She argued, earning an annoyed look from Bjorn.

"I'm not pitying you," He complained and Ylva scoffed loudly.