5

GREATNESS
— 5. Forgiveness

 Soon after her argument with both Bjorn and Freya, Ylva had returned back to Ashton for several weeks until it was time to leave to avenge Ragnar

Sihtric had decided to stay in Ashton to rule while she was away and Ylva was glad. It wasn't safe for the place to be left without a ruler for so long.

When she went to Ashton, she had taken Thyra, Erik, and Halig with her, but now, she had returned.

Ylva climbed off the boat and stepped onto the docks of Kattegat. Bjorn stood several feet away, clearly being informed that she had returned. After all, he hadn't spoken to her since he lashed out at her about Freya and left in a fit of rage in a similar fashion to Freya's.

"Father!" Her children had exclaimed once they laid eyes on Bjorn. They ran past their mother and over to their father, who hugged them and lifted them off the ground.

Ylva sighed and made her way toward them. She watched as Bjorn set her children back down on the ground and turned all of his attention to his wife.

"Ylva—" He began to speak up, only to have Ylva glare at him and walk away without saying anything to him. He sighed in defeat, turning his attention back to his children.

____

A few nights had passed and it was finally the night of the sacrifice being made before the trip to England to avenge Ragnar.

Ylva was standing alone while Bjorn was standing near Torvi and Gyda.

"Brother! I envy you!" One of the men walking forward exclaimed, "Tonight, you will die and feast with the gods. You will see Odin and Thor face to face."

"Thank you, my brother," He responded, hugging his brother before he walked up to the platform.

He grabbed the ropes, patiently waiting for Lagertha to arrive. She soon did, two owls on her shoulders. She was handed a sword and turned to the man she was to sacrifice, the slightest of smiles on her face.

Ylva then heard a loud gasp was heard before everyone looked up, noticing a ball of light flying through the sky.

She only looked for a moment before turning, seeing Bjorn was eying her intently from afar. She looked back at him before she turned, walking away without another word said.

As expected, Bjorn followed after her, but Freya acted as though she wasn't paying attention as she entered the Great Hall.

Bjorn walked up to Ylva, whose back was facing him. "What do you want?" Ylva asked Bjorn with an attitude.

Bjorn moved closer to Ylva. He grabbed her by the arm and turned her to face him. Her breath hitched and she stared up at Bjorn, her lips parting.

"Forgive me," He insisted and Ylva tilted her head as she continued to stare up at him.