4

GREATNESS
— 4. New Queen of Kattegat

    It wasn't long before they arrived on the coast of Frankia

    It wasn't long before they arrived on the coast of Frankia. Bjorn and Ylva exchanged a look before walking over to Rollo, who looked uneasy about being back.

"Frankia," Bjorn spoke to his uncle in a calm tone, "Home?"

"I don't know," Rollo confessed quietly, looking disappointed, "Difficult to return."

"When we return, Hvitserk and I, and our brothers, we will have to avenge our father's death," Bjorn informed Rollo, who nodded in understanding, "And that would be difficult for you too. You would not be welcome, for what you did to all of us. And I would have to kill you."

Rollo remained silent and nodded in understanding, knowing Bjorn would have every right to do so.

A boat ended up rowing toward them, ready to pick up Rollo. Ylva heard a child shouting for Rollo, causing her to sigh since she knew it must have been his son.

She avoided eye contact with Rollo, a part of her feeling envious. She missed her own children more than anything.

"Are you going to go home?" Bjorn asked his uncle as he stood up and walked closer to him.

"I know what I have to do," Rollo admitted, a disappointed look on his face. As the boat reached them, he turned to address the people on the boat he was standing on, "I want to make you all an offer. Anyone from our homelands who wants good, rich lands to farm can come and live in my kingdom. There always be a part of Frankia which is a part of us."

"Us?" Floki asked, letting out a large scoff, "You are no longer a part of 'us', Rollo."

"But what is 'us', Floki, is changing," Rollo reminded in a calm tone, "Only you won't accept it," He retorted and turned to look at Bjorn and Ylva, "So I say the same to you two. And you, Hvitserk."

"Too much bad blood, Rollo," Bjorn admitted to him and Hvitserk nodded.

"Once a betrayer, always a betrayer," Hvitserk agreed with Rollo, who nodded.

"Goodbye, Rollo," Helga told the man kindly.

"Goodbye, Helga," Rollo replied as he turned to the others, "I won't forget. I won't forget anything."

With that, Rollo climbed onto his own boat. He picked up his own son and smiled widely.

"Do you think we'll ever see him again?" Ylva found herself asking Bjorn quietly as her husband wrapped an arm around her.

"Probably not," Bjorn replied as he shook his head, "Hopefully, not."

_____

    It wasn't long before they arrived in Kattegat and when they did, they learned that Ivar, Ubbe, and Freya were planning to kill Lagertha after she killed Aslaug and became Queen of Kattegat.