26

GREATNESS
— 26. Battle for Kattegat

    The fight for Ashton had been an easy one

    The fight for Ashton had been an easy one. Ylva had snuck into Ashton and found the four generals Ivar had put in command of Ashton. She had killed them and hung their bodies just outside the Great Hall for all to see. She left, witnessing as many onlookers had found the bodies. They did not begin to worry or freak out over finding the bodies of the generals. They had rejoiced and many looked relieved.

And the moment they watched their beloved Queen Ylva enter the walls of Ashton with Gunnhild, Bjorn, and Rorik, their heir, the people of Ashton began to cheer and feel utterly relieved.

"Look! It's Ylva the Dread! Queen Ylva!" A man suddenly announced loudly, gaining the attention of all of the townsfolk.

"She's back! Queen Ylva has returned!"

"Ylva is home!"

The people of Ashton began to laugh happily and dozens of citizens began to cheer as they ran in the direction of their queen. Many townsfolk had hugged her while others simply placed a hand on her shoulder as she walked past them.

Ylva smiled at how happy and relieved her people looked by her return.

Bjorn watched her closely, smiling in admiration. The people of Ashton loved their queen more than anything. It didn't matter if they feared Ivar. They loved Ylva more and they knew with her here, they'd be safe and protected.

"Ylva!" A voice suddenly called out and Ylva smiled as she turned to see Tormund, one of her old guards moving toward them.

She laughed and hugged him tightly, relieved to see the man once more. "Tormund! How good it is to see you."

"Prince Rorik!" A group of girls ran over and began to hug Rorik, causing Ylva to laugh and shake her head.

"That didn't take long," Bjorn commented and Ylva chuckled in amusement.

Moments later, the doors of the Great Hall of Ashton were opened and Ylva entered. She walked forward until she reached her throne. There was a skull placed on it, causing her to roll her eyes. She picked it up and turned to face the people crowding into the hall. "Well enough of that," She simply stated and tossed the skull aside, causing some of the people to chuckle.

She smiled in satisfaction and sat down on her throne, Bjorn standing to her right while Gunnhild and Rorik stood to her left.

She smiled and glanced around, watching as the people immediately fell into a kneeling. "Hail, Queen Ylva!"

"Hail Queen Ylva!" The people of Ashton shouted and Bjorn smiled at the sight.

"Now," Ylva began, leaning back in her seat, "On matters of Kattegat and the tyrant that is Ivar the Boneless."