40) The Siren's Fire

"Fire and stone break the bone, but ice and steel can't bring her home."

***

What could I possibly have done? Ro thinks, her mind so wrapped up in that blue-haired girl. She hates me, but why?

The loud music Ashely plays vibrates Rosé's wall as they share the same wall, Ro staying in the room next to Ashely's. Ro and Rhett were supposed to share a room, but Rhett disappeared with Ace and hadn't been seen, probably going to a girl's place for the night. She doubts that Rhett would have any idea what she could have done to make Ashely hate her. She can't imagine hurting the girl so much. The suspense is killing her. She makes her way down the stairs to find Tracy and Liam sitting together on the couch watching some movie; they turn their head to hear her approach. "Rosé, is everything fine?"

"Can I ask you something? I think I figured out why Ashely is acting the way she is, but I'm missing pieces of this story. Do you recognize me, other than from my dad?" Rosé asks.

"We remember your brother and you both. You guys used to be such good friends, and then all of a sudden you weren't," Liam says.

"Here's the problem. Ashely hates me, and she says it's because of something that I did to her in middle school; she got angry because I can't remember it. Do you know what I did? I mean, I must have done something horrible if she hates me this much. I know I can be hated easily, but it bothers me that she does."

"Sit down Sweetie," Tracy mutters, "It is a complicated story. Everything was great between you two, you were the best of friends then something happened. I don't know whether I would consider it your fault or not, but Ashely did. I can't be the one to tell you, you must figure that out on your own, but I can help you figure it out. There was a secret that Ashely held that she entrusted you to keep, and I do not know how it happened truthfully, only what Ashely told me, but that secret somehow got out. She trusted you with her life, and she feels that you betrayed her trust, the secret was one thing, but when something else happened Ashely snapped. I had never seen her so mad or hurt. Mind you, I am only telling what Ashely has told me, she was so bitter about everything. Between her and Ace they begged us to move, things happened between Ace and Rhett as well, it goes much deeper than I can tell you, but you should try to talk to Ashely about it. She will be very angry and bitter at first but I'm sure she still wants her best friend back.

"I don't know everything that transpired between you two, but I would make it right if I could, Ace and Rhett might be able to help you more. Ashely is at fault for this too Rosé, you are not the only one, I can talk to Ashely if you'd like..." Tracy offers.

"Thank you but I think it's best if I try and do it, she can't hide forever," Rosé says, saying those last words that somehow brought her a sense of déjà vu. The music in Ashely's room had stopped, and as Rosé made her way back to her room, the door swung open to reveal Ashely, still clad in her black sports bra and black spandex shorts. "Can we talk? Please?"

"Wait in my room, but don't touch anything," Ashely warns. "I'll be right back."

Rosé nods and steps into Ashely's room, much different than Ro was expecting. She had been expecting a dark black room with death everywhere, but instead, the room was covered in blue and gold, with awards and medals decorating the shelves, no pink, only blue, gold, and white. It is beautiful, Ro thinks. "Thanks, I decorated it myself," Ashely says making Ro jump. "You said that out loud."

"Sorry. Please tell me what I did. I don't remember anything, I don't remember you or your family. Your mom said that we used to be best friends as Ace and Rhett were. They clearly remember each other, and you remember me, but why don't I remember you?"