27) Déjà vu

"Don't cry, she'll find you." 

***

"Gemini, let's go!"

Zero snaps his gun in its holster and sheathes his dual-bladed sword, pulling Gemini by the arm. Gemini follows after him reluctantly, watching as Flame disappears through the halls, her white hair seeming to turn whiter; the only sound is the clicking of her heels. The door closes behind Gemini and he works to push Flame out of his head, his new Surujin weighing heavy against his hip. There is something about the weight of the metal, the way it feels against your skin, the way it calls to him and responds to him.

Well End is a known risky neighborhood, known for drug dealings, murders, and Mesoador attacks, also called Bloody Avenue. Zero got a report about a Mesoador attack on a family farm, a farm with six children. "We are taking the HOV, they can't wait two hours," Zero says. Gemini files into his seat beside Amy who scowls at him and pushes closer to Bruce, who happens to also be staring at him. Damn you, Flame.

"Why are you talking about her?" Amy spits.

"Who?"

"You know who," she responds and sighs when Gemini gives her a confused look. "Flame."

"I didn't say anything," Gemini protests.

"You said, 'Damn you, Flame'. What is that about? Is there something going on between the two of you or something?"

"No!" Gemini practically yells. "Does it look like I have a death wish? Besides, she's creepy as hell."

"And you're not into that kind of stuff? What about Mallory?" she scoffs.

"Mallory was a drunken mistake; I didn't know that she'd stalk me after I said hello to her. I didn't even like her! But no, Flame isn't like that. Mallory was adolescent weirdness; Flame is straight-up psychopathic."

"Okay, okay, you don't have to get all defensive," she mutters, turning away from him and facing Bruce. This is going to be a long night.

***

"Another!"

"Hun, don't you think you've had enough? You look like hell," Tracy smiles, one of the rare people she has met who has a strong British accent.

"No, I have not, and I look wonderful, thank you."

"Who should I call Flame?"

"No one. You should call no one," Rhea smiles, a drunken British accent slipping through. Spending six hours in a bar is fun, getting to meet new people who are like you, just wanting to drink.

"You are wasted, and the bar closes in an hour, you have to get home," Tracy mutters, hand pulling back Rhea's drink, she snatches it from Tracy's hand and gulps it.

"My home is not here."

"Then where is it?"

"I want to know the same thing Tracy," she whispers and takes the half-full pitcher of beer from the man next to her and downs it.

"Hey!"

"Oh hush, Bob, you are too drunk to know your pants are down. Besides...a girl has to have fun, no?" Bob shrugs and slumps back in his seat as Rhea giggles at Tracy's face. "You should not make that face; it is quite repulsing."