7)End of the Day

"You may laugh and play, but it goes quiet at the end of the day." 

***

"How many times have I told you? This is not a charity house; get lost, kid!"

Rakel walks into her lover's house, startled into silence by the strange girl who arrived at her door with a Dagger. The girl, Sàvia, is not like any girl Rakel has ever seen, not even from her boyfriend's clients. "Uh, it's me."

"Rakel?" he whispers, coming around the corner with a sword in his hand, a white towel turned red from blood. "Baby, what are you doing here? Why didn't you call me? You don't know what kind of crazy people will come along and take you hostage, regardless of our baby."

"I find that insulting," Sàvia says, stepping from behind the shadowed door. "For three reasons. I am not crazy; I prefer the term...creative! And I didn't take Rakel hostage, did I? She willingly brought me here. And lastly, I knew about the baby, that is why no harm came or will come to her. I love children, and always wanted my own one day. You are not harmed, are you, Rakel?"

"No," she whispers in return, walking closer to her lover. Something about the girl unnerved Rakel, not just the fact that she looks like a goddess and is a total badass, not just the fact that she killed Rakel's sister and future brother-in-law. No. More so she never seems to show emotion, her voice steady in everything she says, the way she says it, cutting out popular slang. "I willingly brought her here."

"Why? Look, I've told you about the whole sleepover stuff, not at my house, Rakel—"

"Oh, this isn't a sleepover. I was hoping to talk to you alone. You are the leader of the Enlace de Cadena de Hierro, yes?"

"What did you tell her, Rakel?" he hisses in her ear, causing her to shiver. He has always been intimidating; it was his nature. When they met four years ago, he was twenty-eight years older than Rakel. He had taken an immediate liking to her when Lucy brought Rakel to his Den when she joined, insisted on making sure she got home safe, never ran out of money, and was always comfortable. When one is eleven, one develops crushes, and it has always been said that people fall for their rescuers, and Rakel has fallen for him. He gave Lucy and Rakel their house on Calle Sonora after Rakel told him about their living space—or lack thereof, saying it was his pleasure. He had never been anything but kind to Lucy and Rakel and was even supportive when his younger brother, Bone, had a baby with Lucy. He never minded anything when it came to Rakel.

Lucy was wary of his and Rakel's relationship and was always scared for her baby sister. The night Rakel came home and told Lucy of their night together, how he told her of his love for her, and how she said "I love you" when he fell asleep. Lucy always told Rakel that it was her greatest wish for her sister to be cared for and happy. "If he makes you happy, then I approve. I can tell he loves you; just be safe, please; our line of work is dangerous," Lucy had told her as she brushed and braided her sister's hair for the swearing-in ceremony of Lucy. Rakel knew her body well; she had to in order to survive in Mexico, so she knew within days that she was pregnant. She felt the little heartbeat inside her and her own in sync with her daughter's.

"I didn't tell her anything," Rakel whispers into his shoulder, his arm coming around her in protection, his hand resting in the center of her swelling belly. In her arms, Theo wiggles.

"What business do you have here?"

"Sàvia. Sàvia Lorenzo. I believe you have something that belongs to my father, and all I wish is for it to be returned to us," Sàvia smiles, pearly whites glistening off of the crystal chandelier. Her nails play with the hilt of her Ruby Dagger. Rakel can see her lover's eyes go right to it, his hand on his sword.