12)Bitten Anger

"And he wasn't ready for the anger in her eyes."

***

Lesson 1: Do not hold the snake that belongs to the girl you are sharing a bed with; it ends in pain.

"Owww!" he complains.

"Hold still, dammit!" Sàvia snaps, straddling his lap to attend to his many snake bites. "You have to let me get the venom out, Lane or you will die. If anyone is supposed to die first, it is me."

"Your damn evil snake doesn't like me. You couldn't have taken the damn thing with you?" Lane groans, every part of his body aching. The mamba knew who its new owner was, and Lane was not it, even though Sàvia said it could sense bonds between two people, it was clear to Lane, that that was not the case. There was no bad blood between Sàv and himself. As has always been the case, animals hate him.

"Do you think it would have been a good idea to take her with me?"

"You went out to buy a three-hundred-dollar lipstick Sàvia, lipstick that you didn't need. At least he—"

"She," Sàvia corrects automatically.

"—she wouldn't have almost killed me here. Meanwhile, Hierro was over here shitting himself. Who knew the dude was scared of snakes," Lane smiles, as much as he can through excruciating pain. "OW!"

"Sorry, Lane, you should not have screwed with my snake," she laughs.

"I didn't! She attacked me! I swear, as soon as you left, she hissed at me, and I put her in the box, and she came back out and bit me! Alejandro saw it," Lane defends.

"Snakes hiss at all times, love," Sàvia leans in and kisses him, her lips tasting of dragon fruit. An exotic taste for an exotic girl. Her lips move over his gently— "DAMMIT!" A sharp stinging sensation runs through Lane's left arm, the feel of venom coursing through his veins.

"Sorry, tried to distract you." She removes a vile from her hand filled with his blood, yellow venom diluting the thickness of the blood. Lane suddenly feels faint. "Do not pass out on me."

"Mhm," he moans, head tilting to the side, Sàvia's hand snapping out in time to catch him before he fell on the hard black marble. "I neeeed sleeeep."

"Yes, you do. Come on," she whispers, setting the snake down on the counter and carrying Lane to bed bridal style. "Aw, do not be embarrassed. I have done this to plenty of guys, although they were all dead. At least you are alive."

Lane's body hits the heavenly sheets, she must be in good hands to have silk. His hands grip her shirt, attempting to pull her into bed with him. "Nope. I will let my snake in bed with you."

"No! Keep that damned snake away from me, I mean it!"

"I know you do, mi amor. Rest, we have a busy day ahead of us."

§

Turns out that 'day-ahead' wouldn't be today. Lane is still sleeping and clinging onto Rhea's waist but cringing away every time he hears the snake hiss. His face twitches every so often, making Rhea smile until he starts muttering. "Te quiero, mamá. Por favor, no me dejes; estoy sola." Please, do not leave me; I am all alone. He lets out a small whimper and buries himself further in Rhea's side, his brows furrowing in grief.

"No estás solo. Estoy aquí. I am here, Lane; you are not alone," she mutters to him, lightly pushing him off. He stirs but doesn't wake. She makes her way over to Hierro and sets her snake down before rousing him. "Hey, get up."

"What?" he groans groggily, angry at being woken up. He has the luxury of not having to be woken up at three in the morning, unlike Rhea, who expects it every night, not that she sleeps.

"I am taking you on a little trip. Let us go before Lane wakes up." She walks away to write a note to Lane before moving to untie him.

Lane,

Hierro and I went on a little trip; once I get the Dragon, we will be free to leave. I do not know when I will be back. Do not leave the room, and do not fret; my snake is nowhere near.

XoXo

Sàvia

"Let us go," she growls, finally prompting Hierro to move. "Good boy."

"Where are we going?"

"I want to show you where the bones of your ancestors lie. Maybe then you will take me to the Dragon. Buckle up, love, and try not to piss yourself."