42) Snake of Desire

"Just like a snake, she's invisible until you strike her; then, she's deadly."

***

"Who are you?"

He looks at his partner questioningly, and she shrugs in return. "We're looking for someone. A girl with long white hair, ice-blue eyes, always in eight-inch heels, total badass? Recognize her?"

"It's nine inches now," the boy with black hair says.

"Whatever. Have you seen her?" Maezie rolls her eyes and places her hands on her hips. "This isn't a delicate matter; lives are at stake."

"Yeah, well, she's out saving a life right now. You'll have to come back later--"

Gemini removes his ringing cell phone. "Gemini."

"You better get her Gemini. The Embassy Asheri just contacted Zero, reporting a strange massacre. Only one body but blood everywhere--everywhere--and fire marks. Burned remains of clothes left and the body mutilated, with many stab wounds, a cut-throat, talon marks, and sharp penetrations. They said they thought it was a Mesoador attack but that there was something similar to a human attack. They asked Zero to look into it, and he told me. He thinks she started a massacre. Gemini if Latin finds out and you know she will, she will make sure Flame is burned at the stake," Ambrose explains.

"Dammit, okay. Thanks, Brose." At the mention of Ambrose's name, Maezie looks up. "We have a situation."

"Where did the girl go?"

The blond girl glares at Gemini. "That is none of your business."

"It is, so either tell us, or we will get it anyway. This doesn't have to be ugly; we are trying to help and need her; we think she may be in trouble. Man, come on, just tell us where she is."

They all shake their heads, but Maezie lays a hand on Gemini's arm and looks at him with wide eyes. "I found her." At those simple words, Gemini is rushing out.

***

She hasn't talked to her in four days. Four long agonizing days. And it's not her fault, not one bit, but why does she blame her anyway? It's hard to take in that your old best friend is in love with you and you don't remember that she is struggling, and you have no idea how to help. How is Rosé going to help Ashely? How is she supposed to respond to Ashely? Face her and stop avoiding her? She goes downstairs to get water when she sees Ashely talking to Liam and Tracy. "Where are you going?"

"Dennis and Pat asked us to come over to help them paint their new house. They live two hours away, so we probably won't return until morning. Will you guys be okay?" Tracy explains.

"Yeah. Rhett and Ace do their own thing. Rosé is holed up in her room, and I have stuff I can do. And I have a date tonight..." Ashely replies, face turning towards the floor at the last part. A date? With who? A surge of jealousy runs through Rosé's veins for an unknown reason.

"Honey, that's great! Who is she?" Liam beams. "Do we know her?"

"Yeah, it's Mindy Alpine from school. She asked me out last night; we're going to dinner at seven," she smiles, but little could Rosé see; her smile was forced.

"That's great, Ash! Have fun and be safe; you know I don't like you out of the house after dark," Tracy worries but kisses her daughter's head. "Well, we'll be back later. I love you and relay the same to Ace; tell Rosé and Rhett I said goodbye."

They exit, and Ashely turns to come up the stairs. Rosé bolts up the stairs and into her room, her heart hammering in her chest. She wants to talk to Ashely; she knows she has to, but why is it so hard? When she hears Ashely's door shut, she rushes across the hall and opens Ace's door, seeing them both on the bed playing video games. "What's up, Rosé?"