TWENTY TWO

This was it

This was it.

Fixing her top button one more time and adjusting her tie, she picked up her school bag and made her way downstairs.

"Wow, someone looks smart!" Pablo exclaimed, grinning at her.

"Are you nervous, gatita?" Miguel asked her.

"A little." She spoke, not letting on how nervous she actually was.

"Well you're better than Diego, he managed to get in a fight on his first day." Miguel chuckled.

"That was only because some puny older kid thought they could pick on the new guy." Diego grumbled out, swinging an arm around Taiga's shoulder. "If you ever need me to beat someone up for you, just say the word."

"No, no, no. You will not be getting our little sister into a fight." Pablo intervened, making Diego back away with his hands up in surrender.

"Alright, stand by that wall." Leo spoke up, holding a camera.

Taiga quickly scurried over, eager to not keep him waiting.

"3...2...1..." and the shutter of the camera echoed.

She had never had this before - getting her photo taken on the first day of school. It was refreshing to have a family that celebrated the things that should be.

The only downside was that her and Rafael still hadn't made up. She had noticed recently he had been trying to occasionally talk or watch TV with her, but it was still very awkward between them.

And he was driving her to school.

Rafael began to leave the house so she took that as her cue to follow, her brothers wishing her 'buena suerte' as she left. Before she could close the door, Diego ran up to her.

"Me and Rafael have classes at the same time this morning so I'll be tagging along." He explained, making her smile in relief.

Now that Diego was there, the tense air between her and Rafael wouldn't be as painful to bear in silence. She slipped into the backseat, Diego joining her on the other side and Rafael already at the wheel.

"Shouldn't you be in the front seat?" She asked.

"And leave you shaking in your boots back here?" He smirked at her.

"I'm not shaking. Just slightly nervous." She pouted.

"Yeah, yeah." He said, unconvinced.

Rafael was watching from the front. He missed messing around with her and he had been trying to make up with her but it was difficult.

He had been so unfairly cruel and she deserved so much better and more. After all of his brothers had talked to him too, he eventually started to get it.