FOURTEEN

The dark and thick shadows enshrouded her as she walked towards the specific alleyway that had been noted in Cole's ominous letter

The dark and thick shadows enshrouded her as she walked towards the specific alleyway that had been noted in Cole's ominous letter. The cosy café that had once been lit up with fairy lights was now closed and gloomy.

Taiga's heart was hammering against her chest as she braced herself for what was to come. Checking her wrist watch, she noted it was five minutes before the meeting time, so she stealthily crept into the alleyway, not having to worry about anyone watching her as the street was rather deserted.

The scraping of her shoes against broken glass was the only thing that could be heard as she stepped further into the suspicious looking crevice.

It was silent.

Eerily silent.

Her own breathing sounded too loud for her own ears and she silently wished that she had taken a painkiller for the slight throbbing against her temples. It was a cliché time for her malnourishment to make another appearance but nonetheless, it made itself known.

Attempting to ignore the growing pain in her head, she listened in the dull silence for anyone's presence, dreading the appearance of Cole. Suddenly, her ears picked up the sound of gravel against shoes and she turned to meet the noise.

Two dark figures emerged from around the corner, accompanied by a suffocating smell of cigarettes and whiskey. The soft moonlight uncovered the sinister features of Jason and Cole as they approached the timid girl at the end of the alley.

Their presence alone was enough to terrify her and when they spoke, it made it that much worse. Perhaps it could be considered a talent with the way they spoke so much like a villain from a horror story however, being faced with such talents was nerve-wrecking.

"Glad ya' came, poppet. Guess we don't need to be worryin' about harming your brothers, eh?" Cole snickered as he and Jason approached her.

The mention of her brothers made her determined to keep the steely facade on, not wanting them to see just how terrified she was feeling. She would never let them get to her brothers.

"Now, pet, you're coming with me." Jason spoke, a gleeful glint in his eyes.

Frantically, Taiga shook her head not wanting to go anywhere with him. Instead, she delved deep in her feelings to find any sort of confidence in order to stand up to them.

"Why do you want to hurt my brothers?" Although her voice hadn't come out as strong as she wanted it to, at least she had asked them.

"Aww, little Taiga is all worried about her family." Jason mocked her. "I don't want your brothers, I want you."

"Why?" Her timid voice filled the dangerous air.

"You didn't think I'd let my precious pet go after your wench of a mother killed herself, did you?"