TWENTY THREE

The silence was enough to make anyone uncomfortable

Rafael was driving the car, focused on the road whilst Taiga twiddling her thumbs awkwardly. Whenever these two were alone, their strained relationship became painfully obvious, yet nothing had been done anything about it.

Rightfully so, Taiga believed that Rafael should apologise first - he had been unfairly spiteful but even still, she wanted her brother back. The one that used to joke around with her, the one that made her laugh, the one that kept her smiling.

Where had he gone?

Rafael had finally come to regret his actions but he hadn't made enough of an effort to patch things up with his sister. He was afraid she'd never forgive him although, he could understand why she wouldn't.

He needed to get rid of his overinflated pride and ego in order to fix their relationship. However, it wouldn't be as simple as just saying 'sorry' and the air is cleared. He had acted despicably and he thoroughly wished he could take his words back.

But he couldn't.

"How was your first day?" He broke the unbearable silence.

"Fine." Taiga answered, not completely interested in conversing with him.

Rafael gripped the steering wheel a little tighter, frustrated at how he couldn't just 'man up' and take responsibility. But he didn't know how to start.

"Did you make any new friends?" He asked.

"Yeah." Her monosyllabic replies were making it even more difficult for him, but Taiga felt he shouldn't have it easy, given that he had been so callous.

"Taiga, look..." he began, still very unsure of himself. "I've been a douche lately and I've messed up more than I can count."

He ran his hand through his hair frantically, not used to being so unsure about himself.It was like being a child again - cautious and clueless upon how to approach the situation. But above all, he just wanted to mend their relationship.

"I didn't listen to anything you had to say and I basically beat you down unfairly. I was an idiot and I said a lot of things I honestly regret so much now and I just... I really want to make it up to you." He said.

"Why now? Why are you only apologising now?" Taiga asked.

She appreciated his apology but it was long overdue now and after the way that he had been, she couldn't just let him say one word and let him go charge free.

He took a deep breathe in, jittery about being so vulnerable but he had to. This wasn't for him, this was for Taiga.

"I'm a stubborn guy, I don't like people telling me what to do." Rafael began. "Even though we fight all the time, I consider Diego one of the closest people to me and when he was in hospital, I really thought I was going to lose him and that... That scared me. A lot." A distant look haunted his face yet he still managed to drive fluidly. "I was angry that I couldn't do anything to help and I took it out on you because you're who he wanted to protect."