EIGHTEEN

Miguel led Taiga downstairs, almost like a baby duckling following its mother, and reached the living room as he had promised her a movie night of binge watching some of her favourite films like Spirited Away

Miguel led Taiga downstairs, almost like a baby duckling following its mother, and reached the living room as he had promised her a movie night of binge watching some of her favourite films like Spirited Away. As they entered, they noticed Pablo sitting on the couch immersed in a book that seemed way beyond her comprehension.

He looked up and his eyes widened at the sight of his little sister, who had recently been cooped up in her room for several days, before his eyes shining with the familiar guilt she had seen with Miguel.

"I'll start making the popcorn." The older brother said before giving a look to Pablo, telling him to reconcile.

A rather awkward silence settled in the room as Taiga tried to make herself as comfortable as she could in that situation on the couch. She was glad Pablo wasn't scrutinising her with the gaze that all her brothers seemed to have, but was it better that he was looking away with a storm of regret?

"I'm sorry." He finally blurted out, unable to sit beside her without expressing how he felt.

She looked up at him with those doe eyes that seemed to make anyone that met her fall in love with the adorable and compassionate personality she never failed to show anyone.

"I'm really sorry." He repeated. "I just... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I keep saying I'm sorry because I know what I did must be unforgivable and shouldn't be forgiven just because I'm saying two words that anyone could say."

"But really, I don't know how else to express how sorry I am. I left you on your own and didn't spare you even a glance and I should've never done that."

"But you did." She whispered out, still slightly hurt by her actions.

Although she had easily forgiven Miguel, he had given her a thorough apology and explanation but she couldn't help but think that people would continue to break her trust if she let them. She didn't want to, but she could feel herself becoming slightly less forgiving than before.

Remorse ate at her because she knew Pablo deserved forgiveness and something better than her, but she couldn't stop it anymore. Should she stay soft, lenient and too forgiving, eventually the world would swallow her whole and tear her apart.

It was time to start standing her ground.

"I know. And I feel horrible about completely forgetting you and not taking care of your needs. Diego wasn't the only one who was in pain, you were too." What he said was true, but could she forgive him just yet?

"I'll do anything you need in order for you to forgive me - if you want me not to bother you, I won't. If you want me to buy you a tonne of stuff, I will. If you want me to hit me, I'll let you."

She hesitated before answering.

"I don't need you to do any of that because I forgive you." He looked at her with sheer amazement. "But that doesn't mean I trust you the same yet. You broke that and I'm not saying I'll never trust you again, but it'll take time."