TWENTY

"Hello, father

"Hello, father."

The man Taiga now realised was their father simply stared at Miguel before turning back to her. An almost disgusted look clouded his face every time he looked towards her and she couldn't help but feel small under his piercing glare.

"Where are your manners, little girl?" Their father snarled at her.

She looked at Miguel for comfort and he assuringly squeezed her hand, a look she had never seen before on his face. Clearly, no one was comfortable with the arrival of this man.

Taiga didn't understand what he wanted her to do, completely bemused by his behaviour and dark aura.

"It's my house, you're supposed to clear yourself out of my sight when I return." He looked down on her.

"It's her house as much as any of ours." Diego bit out, his anger threatening to spill completely.

"Impertinent as ever, Diego." The man replied.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that the father-son relationships were incredibly strained and despite her previous curiosity, Taiga didn't wish to pursue a connection with this man.

He may be her biological father, but he didn't show any signs of wanting to be related to her. The only thing they had in common was the deep, brown eyes all of her siblings seemed to share. After her years apart from him, she expected him to be even a little bit elated to see her, but the distance and the coldness he greeted her with showed her she should never have expectations.

One thing she couldn't get out of her head was that man is what Rafael could turn into. Overhearing what he had said hurt - she knew that they were having a fight but she didn't realise how much he resented her.

He wished she wasn't there.

Miguel, Diego and Rafael were all as stiff as stone, almost as if they we're waiting for their father to make a move.

"I'll see Leonardo now. You three, get some work done for once." It didn't go unnoticed that he had completely disregarded Taiga.

"Taiga exists too, Dad." Miguel spoke up.

"Be careful what you say to me, Miguel." The man warned before striding away.

It was the first time Taiga had seen Miguel like this - so frustrated but even more so because he couldn't show it. Whoever their father was, it was clear as day that he held a power of the boys that she hated.

A beeping interrupted all of their trains of thought, engrossed by the sudden entrance of their father.

"Sorry, I reheated Taiga's meal..." Miguel trailed off, making his way back to the kitchen clearly troubled.

His exit left Taiga, Diego and Rafael in an awkward silence. A lot of things had just happened in a short amount of time and all of them were overwhelmed.