Lancelot (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

" Yes, Lancelot?"

" Is there anything I can do, Sire? It's just...I know that in the event of battle, only a knight may serve." Lancelot stumbles over his words a little and as much as Arthur wants to punish him personally, he knows he needs all the manpower he can get so he sighs.

" That's correct, Lancelot. And you are not yet a knight. Which is why I'm bringing your test forward. You'll face me in the morning." Arthur turns and leaves a shocked Lancelot in the square and heads to begin training his men.

Arty and Rowan who had watched the exchange smiled and sidled up beside the still shocked Lancelot.

" Congratulations Lancelot." They spoke in unison which snapped Lancelot out of his stupor long enough to reply with thanks. Rowan turned and studied Lancelot for a moment and let his magic quietly curl around him, his gift from the Goddess Morrigan allowed him to see into the hearts of mortals and determine if they were true warriors or just regular men. Lancelot's heart was the noblest and most honourable he had even see, he also had a powerful warrior spirit which made Rowan smile quietly.

" If you have any hope of beating the Prince you're going to need some practice." Rowan spoke with a kind smile.

" Yeah if you wanna last a minute your gonna need all the help you can get." Arty piped up from Lancelot's other side.

" What are you suggesting?" Lancelot asked suspiciously.

" Nothing illegal don't worry, meet us at the training field in half an hour." Rowan said mysteriously before gliding away with a predators grace and a wry smile. His brother followed and Lancelot was once again left alone in confusion before he shook his head and headed to retrieve his sword and maybe some armour.

The next Morning Merlyn was standing with Gwen and the boys on the sidelines while Arthur and Lancelot were doing their final preparations in full armour

The next Morning Merlyn was standing with Gwen and the boys on the sidelines while Arthur and Lancelot were doing their final preparations in full armour. Gwen look nervous and Rowan gently took her hand,

" Don't worry Aunty Gwen, Lancelot will be fine. Brother and I spent all afternoon yesterday drilling him till he knew every facet of father's style we could teach him." Gwen looked at Rowan surprised.

" So that's why you two came back exhausted and practically holding up poor Lancelot." Merlyn mused, both boys laughed and nodded before turning back to the two knights preparing to fight.

" Well, here we are. Your final challenge. Succeed and you join the elite. Fail and your journey ends here. Lancelot, fifth son of Lord Eldred of Northumbria..." Arthur nods to the timekeeper who turns the sandglass, " Your time starts now."

Arthur and Lancelot put on their helmets and raise their swords in a defensive stance. Lancelot swings first and barley misses Arthur. Merlyn gasps as Gwen grabs her shirt in anxiety and mutters an apology before quickly letting go. The fight continues swords clashing, occasionally casting sparks at their speed and strength. Lancelot presses Arthur back when suddenly out of nowhere Arthur lashes out with his fist and punches Lancelot hard enough to send him to the ground, the group flinches as he thuds to the ground his helmet rolling away. Arthur huffs and stabs his sword into the ground before removing his helmet and stepping forward to retrieve the coloured flag.