20. Behind the Kings Crown

"TOBIO! STOP CHEWING THE VOLLEYBALL!"
"HOW DID HE EVEN GET AHOLD OF THAT?!?"

That was Kageyama's Grandpa and Sister. To think he was only a baby when he first held a volleyball. No wonder he was a genius. His grandfather was a volleyball coach too. So Tobio got to hangout an play with the big kids at quite a young age. His sister would tag along too. Back when he was so small and loved. Back when...it wasn't just him and Miwa. Yes it's true, the two siblings were eventually left with each other and only each other. The connection with Grandpa's team? Severed. Their parents? Diseased. They don't have much memory of them anyways. Miwa and Tobio just stuck together.

Fast forward at least a few years. Kageyama was on the Kitagawa Daiichi Junior High volleyball team. His grandfather's old team.

"YOUR NOT HITTING THE BALL FAST ENOUGH!" Kageyama yelled at his teammates. "If you can't keep up then we can't win!"
"Captain, your sets are too fast", one of his teammates argued.
"That's your problem not mine-"
"KAGEYAMA!" Their coach yelled. "Your sitting this one out!" Kageyama's heart dropped. He wanted to remain on court as long as possible. But to be honest he was kind of used to it. Being pushed away. Everyone saw him as intense, scary, rude. Even his teammates. To him, no one cared, no one loved him. His sister could never be home for him because of work. So why even be nice and welcomong to others? What's the point in smiling when the good will eventually go away?

*TIME SKIP*

Kageyama walked with his teammates. He was here to win. Little did he know he'd find a interesting, and lovable "enemy". He saw a small boy praising his teammates. He looked so...cute? No, he looked dumb. His hair was...his hair...his hair was dumb! He eyes...they were also dumb! Why am I thinking about a loser like that?!? Kageyama started having a self-conflict. Maybe even denying a little crush?

Turns out he was gonna ply against that kid's "team". Obviously, Kageyama knew it won't be much of a match with what they are. But he wasn't going to underestimate those squirts.

It had been a while. Of course the blue boy's team was ahead. But still, the weak team seemed to be able to a manage a few points. That wasn't sitting well with Kageyama, he want to actually win. That ginger kid could jump really high too.
"KUNIMI! GET THE BALL!" Kageyama yelled. Kunimi didn't run for it...Tobio didn't understand why.
"Captian, it doesn't matter we're a lot of points-"
"THAT DOESN'T MATTER! THOSE SQUIRTS COULD CATCH UP AT ANY TIME!"
The team sighed. They were...loosing trust in Kageyama.

The game ended in a flash, of course Kitagawa won. But their captain wasn't not satisfied. He ran to the net new the high jumping tangerine.
"WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS?!?"
His teammates yelled for him to get back.
"THANK YOU FOR THE GAME!"

*TIME SKIP*

"I'm sorry Tobio, as much as I want to I have too much work I can't come", his sister said on the phone.
"But it's my-"
"Sorry I gotta go. Bye Tobio!"
"...graduation."
Kageyama looked around. He saw his teammates being pat on the back by their parents, older siblings, grandparents. There was someone to be proud of everyon there. But not...him. He walked the club's gym with his suit and diploma. He started shaking, he fell to the floor. He has the taste of salty water droplets coke to his mouth. He touched his face, Kageyama felt water streaming down his face from his eyes. He smacked the floor. There's no one...no one who will stay with me, he thought. All I do is push them away, but I don't know what else to do... The poor boy sat there, crying, till the end of the graduation ceremony.

Kageyama wanna about to head back home when he suddenly got created by one of his teammates.
"Ah- hi, you need something?" Kageyama asked.
"No. But...you- you are a bad person. And a bad teammate, good luck getting into your dream high school."
"...I- I'm sorry-"
"Save it for someone who cares."

Kageyama's heart cracked, it was after this that he would keep I locked forever.

*BACK TO CURRENT TIME*

Kageyama say in his room. He thought about Hinata's smile. That picture faded away in his mind.

I should have never open my heart...

You r all free to find and murder me. I also broke my heart writing this chapter. But ngl is actually cannon. Kageyama did loose his grandfather. And his parents r unnamed. All we know is that his sister is his only family member. So yeah. ANYWAYS! SEE YOU NEXT CHAPTER! when ever the fuck it comes out.
-Esh