•seventeen•

The next day, we visited Emily and Mitch. Luke wasn't very talkative, and that's perfectly fine. The two of us stood in front of the front door, hand in hand.

Squeezing his hand, I noticed Julie was also here. "Julie?" I gently asked, earning Luke's attention. "What are you doing?" Luke asks.

Julie begins explaining her reasoning as I stuck my head inside the door, looking around. Emily was in the kitchen, meanwhile Mitch was sitting in the living room reading a book.

Suddenly, the doorbell went off. Stepping back, I waited for Mitch to open the door. I gently raised our hands before kissing the back of Luke's hand. He glanced down at me as we waited, his eyes soft. Leaning into his side, I ran my hand down his bicep to comfort him.

The door swings open, revealing Mitch. Luke let's out a shaky breath as he stares at his father. They looked so similar sometimes, and I think that's a part that haunts Emily. While Julie was introducing herself, I tried to console a teary eyed Luke.

After a few moments, we stepped inside. "Was that the doorbell I heard?" Emily asks, stepping out of the kitchen. Luke's grip on my hand tightens.

"Yes. This is Julie, her family owns the garage Luke and the guys used to rehearse." Mitch solemnly says. Emily let's out a shaky breath, similar to Luke's earlier.

Beside Julie was a photo of Luke when he was two. "Is this your son?" Julie gently asks as she picks up the photo. "Yes, that's Luke when he was two." Mitch gently smiles. Julie smiles before setting the picture down.

Looking around, there were photos of me and Luke everywhere. Julie looked around at the photos herself.

Luke and I were standing behind Julie as they talked. As Julie handed Emily the song, Luke began singing it to himself. It made him feel closer to his mother.

First things first
We start the scene in reverse
All of the lines rehearsed
Disappeared from my mind

When things got loud
One of us running out
I should have turned around
But I had too much pride

No time for goodbyes
Didn't get to apologise
Pieces of a clock that lies broken

If I could take us back
If I could just do that
And write in every empty space
The words I love you in replace
And every time would not erase me

If you could only know
I never let you go
And the words I most regret
Are the ones I never meant to leave
Unsaid Emily

Silent days
Mysteries and mistakes
Who'd be the first to break
Guess we're alike that way

He said, she said
Conversations in my head
And that's just where they're gonna stay forever

If I could take us back
If I could just do that
And write in every empty space
The words I love you in replace
Then maybe time would not erase me

If you could only know
I never let you go
And the words I most regret
Are the ones I never meant to leave

Unsaid Emily

If I could take us back
If I could just do that
And write in every empty space
The words I love you in replace
Then maybe time would not erase me

If you could only know
I never let you go
And the words I most regret
Are the ones I never meant to leave
Unsaid Emily

Luke's voice begins to falter at the end. Gently grabbing his hand, I caressed his fingers with my thumb. Tears were streaming down my face as I tried to calm him down.

After a few moments, Julie said her goodbyes and left. Luke let out a soft sob. "Shh, it's okay." I moved so I was in front of him before wrapping him into a tight hug. Luke wrapped his arms tightly around my back and sobbed into my neck. Hearing him cry always broke me.

Gently rubbing his back, I kissed his shoulder to let him know I was there for him no matter what. Luke wept into my neck as he clutched at my clothing, almost as he was making himself believe I was there and I wasn't going to leave.

"Hey, let's go to your room." I rubbed his back. Luke sniffled into the crook of my neck. He gently pulls away to look into my eyes. His eyes were soft, full of tears. Luke gently nods as he pulls away, his eyes glancing behind me at his crying parents. Luke tears his eyes away before pulling me back to his room.

I immediately sat us down on his bed. Luke sits down in front of me, one of his legs sprawled out beside me while the other was bent, his foot tucked underneath the extended leg. "It's my fault. I shouldn't have ran away." Luke sobs, looking back at the doors.

"Don't say that." I sighed, scooting my body closer to him so my crossed legs were overlapping his.

"But it is. I should have came back home. We would all be alive. We would be married and have kids like we always wanted." Luke looks down at our legs.

We would be married and have kids.

"Hey, we can still get married. It's not exactly what we planned, but we could still get married. Kids, that's a bit of a problem but this is no way your fault. You had no clue that hotdog would kill you." I placed both of my hands on his cheeks and made him look into my eyes. The phrase 'we would be married and have kids.' played through my head.

"I never got to apologize or say goodbye." Tears fall from his eyes, which were a dull blue today. His perfect brown hair was in his eyes. Taking my hand, I pushed the hair out of his face before kissing his forehead.

"Shh, shh. You're alright. They know you love them." I kissed the tip of his nose. As a kid, I did this when he got in a fight with a boy on the playground who pushed me off the slide and I wanted him to stop crying.

Luke's nose crinkled as a soft blush creeped upon his cheeks. In an attempt to make him a bit happier, I pressed kisses all over his face. "Baby, stop." A small giggle escapes Luke's lips, signaling I successfully brought a smile to his face.

When I pulled away, Luke's nose was crinkled and a bright smile was on his face. "See baby, there's that beautiful smile." I beamed. Luke looked down at our legs, gently reaching up for my hands and holding them.

"Thank you. You always know how to make me smile." Luke gently raised my hand before pressing a kiss against my ring finger. Smiling, I leaned forwards to rest my head on his shoulder.

"It's my job." I pressed a kiss against his shoulder before pulling back to my original position. The two of us stared into each other's eyes. His eyes were still a bit teary, but it was slowly getting better. Out of nowhere, Luke tackled me onto my back. "Luke!" I laughed as he pressed his lips around my face. Luke balanced himself on his elbow before using his other hand to tickle my side.

"Lucas!" I loudly giggled, trying to break free of his grip. It felt like forever, but Luke finally stopped tickling me.

"Your laughs cute." Luke compliments my laugh as I tried to catch my breath. "Shut up." I laughed as I began to catch my breath. Luke kisses my forehead before rolling over so he was laying on his stomach. Luke cuddled into my neck, wrapping his arm around my waist protectively.

"I love you." He pressed a gentle kiss on my collarbone, so gentle I almost didn't feel it. "I love you too." I gently replied, placing my hand on his shoulder and leaning my cheek against the top of his head.