Chapter 10 - Ash VS Marnie: A Friendly Spar

"Here we are, at last," said Grunt 8 as Marnie and her fan club, consisting of 20 Team Yell Grunts arrived at the outskirts of Hulbury Town.

"Now let's head to the Pokemon Centre to see if we can find him," said Marnie as the group began heading towards the facility.

As they made their way to the Pokemon Centre, Marnie and the Team Yell grunts heard an explosion that wasn't far away from them.

"Wonder what that was," commented Grunt 9.

"Shall we go check it out, Marnie?" asked Grunt 10.

"Sure," replied Marnie as they began heading towards the location where the explosion occurred.

A short moment later, the group saw another explosion and hid behind the bushes, only to see Ash and Gary battling with Gengar and Alakazam respectively, with the Shadow Pokemon still standing up while the Psi Pokemon was taken out of action.

"Is one of the battlers Ash Ketchum by any chance?" asked Grunt 11.

"Let's have a look," said Marnie as she opened her bag and took out the photo of Ash Ketchum that was printed from her computer at home.

"Yep, that's him," said Marnie.

With Ash, Gary, Goh and Chloe:

"Alakazam is unable to battle, Gengar wins. Therefore the winner goes to Ash Ketchum," said Goh.

"Heh, looks like you win again, Ashy-Boy," said Gary as he recalled Alakazam.

"You fought really well though," said Ash while returning Gengar back into its PokeBall.

"You reckon you're ready to challenge the Hulbury Gym?" asked Goh.

"Most definitely so," said Ash.

"Guys, somebody is approaching us," said Chloe who was pointing at a woman and a group of 20 misfits approaching them.

"Hello, how can I help you out?" asked Ash.

"Hi, my name is Marnie. You must be Ash Ketchum," said Marnie.

"Yes that's me. Leon told me about your desire to battle me. I accept your challenge. Although who are these people with you?" asked Ash.

"Oh they're friends of mine," said Marnie. "Don't mind them."

"So when would you like to battle? And what battle format?" asked Ash.

"Perhaps right now, double battle," replied Marnie.

"Sure thing. Let's get started," said Ash as he and Marnie made their way to either side of the battlefield.

"This will be an unofficial double battle between the trainers Ash and Marnie. Neither side is allowed to substitute Pokemon and the battle will be over when all of either side's Pokemon are unable to battle. Can both sides please take out their Pokemon?" requested Gary.

"Morpeko & Grimmsnarl, let's go," said Marnie as she sent out the Two-Sided Pokemon and the Bulk Up Pokemon into the battlefield.

"Morpeko and Grimmsnarl?" Ash thought to himself while checking the Pokedex, which revealed that they were Dark/Electric and Dark/Fairy types respectively.

"Interesting. In that case, Pikachu and Primeape, I choose you," said the raven-haired trainer as he sent out the Pig Monkey Pokemon while the Mouse Pokemon entered the battlefield.

"Battle begin," said Gary.

"Ladies first," said Ash.

"Alright, if you insist. Morpeko, use Aura Wheel on Primeape. Grimmsnarl, use Spirit Break on Pikachu," ordered Marnie as both Pokemon began charging their attacks on the chosen targets.

"Alright, Pikachu. Dodge with Extreme Speed, then use Thunderbolt on Grimmsnarl. Primeape, use Gunk Shot on Grimmsnarl," commanded Ash as Pikachu managed to dodge the attack with the Normal-Type move and fire off a powerful bolt of yellow electricity at Grimmsnarl while the Pig Monkey Pokemon fired a purple bag of dust at the same target, dealing heavy damage on the Bulk Up Pokemon.

"Impressive," Marnie thought to herself as Grimmsnarl recovered after getting by two powerful attacks, with one being super effective.

Not long after using Aura Wheel, the Two-Sided Pokemon then began to change appearance, becoming purple and black with red eyes as well as having its speed increased.

"What was that change?" asked Chloe.

"That's Morpeko's ability, Hunger Switch," said Grunt 12.

"At the end of each turn, Morpeko changes into its one of its two forms. Just then, was Full Belly Mode to Hangry Mode," said Grunt 13.

"In fact, the move type of Aura Wheel varies. In Full Belly Mode, the move is an Electric-Type attack, but is Dark-Type in Hangry Mode," said Grunt 14.

"Now, Pikachu, use Surf, and Primeape, use Close Combat on Morpeko," ordered Ash as Pikachu summoned a powerful wave of water towards both Pokemon while Primeape began charging towards Morpeko.

"Morpeko, dodge the Close Combat and cancel the Surf with Aura Wheel. Grimmsnarl, use Bulk Up," commanded Marnie as the Two-Sided Pokemon formed a light blue wheel of energy around itself, effectively negating the wave of water while the Bulk Up Pokemon flexed its arm muscles, causing a red aura to surround its body, increasing its attack and defense. A moment later, the Two-Sided Pokemon changed into Full-Belly Mode, increasing its speed once more.

"Not a problem. Pikachu, jump up and use Volt Tackle on Grimmsnarl," said Ash as Pikachu jumped up into the air as the waves got canceled out and dived towards Grimmsnarl while its body was covered in yellow electricity.

Seconds later, the Mouse Pokemon scored a direct hit on Grimmsnarl, dealing reduced damage while taking a decreased amount of recoil damage.

"Alright Morpeko, use Crunch on Pikachu. Grimmsnarl, use Spirit Break on Primeape," ordered Marnie as both Pokemon began their attacks on the selected targets.

"No point in trying to dodge Morpeko's attack since its speed was increased twice," Ash thought to himself. "Pikachu, block it with Surf. Primeape, Gunk Shot once more," said the raven-haired trainer as the Mouse Pokemon summoned another giant wave of water and the Pig Monkey Pokemon fired another purple bag of dust at the opposing Grimmsnarl.

Seconds later, all attacks collided with each other, causing an explosion to break out. After about a minute, the explosion covering the battlefield cleared up, revealing that both Pikachu and Primeape were still standing while Morpeko and Grimmsnarl were knocked out.

"Morpeko and Grimmsnarl are unable to battle. Pikachu and Primeape wins. Therefore the winner is Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town," said Gary.

"Well done, Pikachu and Primeape," said Ash as he petted his two Pokemon.

"Take a good rest, Morpeko and Grimmsnarl. The two of you deserve a good rest," said Marnie as she recalled both Pokemon into their PokeBall and approached the raven-haired trainer.

"Thanks for the battle Ash. Now I know what Leon meant when he spoke highly of your skills as an accomplished Pokemon Trainer," said Marnie.

"No, I should be thanking you, Marnie. As expected from a Master Class member, you really are a powerful trainer," said Ash.

"Thanks Ash. I'm sure we'll cross paths again. Hopefully we get to battle again sometime in the future," said Marnie.

"Sounds like a great idea. Speaking of that, why don't I battle both you and your older brother Piers by the time I get to Spikemuth to get my 7th badge, in Double Battle Mode?" suggested Ash.

"That's a brilliant idea. I look forward to that battle," said Marnie in approval. "Good luck with your second gym challenge."