Chapter 4 - Introduction to the Galar Region

With Ash, Gary, Goh, Chloe, Professor Oak and Professor Cerise at the dining room at the Cerise Laboratory:

"Alright, Professor Cerise, what is it you wished to discuss with the rest of us?" asked Ash.

"Recently, I have been in contact with a professor named Professor Magnolia from a region called the Galar region," answered Professor Cerise.

"Galar region?" asked Gary.

"Yes, a new region that requires traveling by plane to get there just like many other regions such as Unova, Kalos and Alola. She specializes in this phenomenon called Dynamax," said Professor Cerise.

"Dynamax? What is that?" asked Ash.

"A transformation that temporarily affects Pokemon during a Pokemon battle for 3 turns. The transformation also ends if the Pokemon switches out in-between. Dynamaxed Pokemon largely increase in size and HP. Trainers who obtain a Dynamax band are able to Dynamax their Pokemon, only once during a Pokemon battle," answered Professor Oak.

"Dynamax Pokemon are immune to flinching, unaffected by moves that are affected by weight, one hit-KO moves, moves that switch the target out, the specific moves Destiny Bond, Disable, Encore, Torment, Instruct. The abilities Cursed Body and Sheer Force won't affect Dynamax Pokemon," said Professor Cerise.

"Is it possible to capture wild Pokemon that can already Dynamax?" asked Goh.

"Yes. There is a thing called a 'Max Raid Battle', which involves 4 trainers battling a wild Dynamax Pokemon, which remains Dynamaxed for the entire battle.

Trainers can begin a Max Raid Battle by interacting with a Dynamax Pokemon in a Pokemon Den, which is located in the Wild Area, the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra, which is all located in Galar. If the Den is inactive, trainers can use an item called a Wishing Piece to activate a Max Raid Battle.

Each player uses a single Pokemon in the battle and there is a limit of 10 turns. Moves with charging turns such as Dig & Solar Beam will only require one turn to execute the attack.

Many Dynamax moves will have additional effects on either the Dynamaxed Pokemon itself and it's ally or the target and its ally or on the battlefield such as activating terrains and weather.

The battle is lost if the 4th challenger's Pokemon faints a total of 4 times or when the 10 turn limit is reached or if both the Dynamax and the 4th challenger Pokemon are knocked out at the same time," said Professor Cerise.

"Wow that is so sophisticated," commented Goh.

"Indeed. There is also a version of Dynamax, called Gigantamax. But I'll leave that for Professor Magnolia to explain to you when you meet her in the Galar region," said Professor Cerise.

"Wait, we're going to the Galar region?" asked Chloe and Goh.

"Yes. And, Goh, I have previously asked your parents for permission and they have fully approved," replied Professor Cerise, turning to Ash and Gary. "Is it okay if the two of you bring Chloe and Goh in your journey in Galar?"

"Of course, not a problem. More than happy to have them join us," replied Gary. "Ash. What do you plan to do during our journey in the Galar region?"

"Haven't really decided yet. Perhaps compete in the Galarian League," said Ash.

"Compete in another League? You're already a Regional Champion and the Pokemon Master," said Gary.

"While what you said is true, I've had these two titles for only just over a year, but that doesn't mean I stop learning. Plus with this new Dynamax and Gigantamax phenomenon, this is something new to us, so it is definitely worth checking out," said Ash, earning a nod in approval from both Professors.