Chapter 26: The Setup

Vote, comment, and share this story with your friends. ENJOY! ❤️

And point out any errors.

——————————————————

          Athena and I met up with Luca in the old corner once again

Athena and I met up with Luca in the old corner once again. Rex, however, was absent.

"Rex is posing as one of the guards now," Luca informed us before we could question him. "We took out the ones guarding the doors outside the event. They have metal detectors and confiscated weapons from everyone attending. We should be good."

We all headed in the direction of the little banquet hall where the event was taking place. When we reached the isolated bit of the hotel, Rex stood in different clothes that I assumed were of the guards. We walked right through the metal detectors that flared red. Rex remained outside in the hallway while Athena and I locked our arms with Luca's and entered the room full of abominable humans.

          A man, all decked in black with a matching mask, stood behind a podium between two large columns that led into the main area. He extended his hand, almost robotically, not for a handshake but the gold card that Luca handed.

"Table fourteen. Enjoy," the man said, placing the card among many others.

          In the little hall, the lights were dim with only shades of blue and purple shining above our heads. Despicable humans in tuxedos and masks meandered about. What revolted me the most was the presence of women. Not as many as the men, but quite a few mingled with them. They didn't seem like slaves. They casually conversed with others if the nonchalance in their posture was any indication of that. They were buyers themselves.

          Twenty round, numbered tables littered the area—many already taken by masked men. Hors d'oeuvres lined a long table off to the side with many other delicacies in shiny platters. We made our way toward it. We had to fit in and not allow suspicion by standing in a corner and waiting for Lawrence Kane to make an appearance, especially since I couldn't spot an armless man in the room.

          The food was too fancy and nothing I recognized as I moved along.

          "Baklava?" Luca offered, holding a small piece of dessert pastry in my direction that I immediately recoiled from.

          "Keep that away from me."

          "You don't like Baklava? What the bloody hell is wrong with you?"

          "It has nuts and I'm allergic to nuts."

          "Is that so?" Luca's mouth quirked up in a smirk. "I bet you're not allergic to—"

          "Finish that sentence and I'll kick your nuts right into your mouth," I threatened and walked along the table, looking at anything I'd like to eat, but I didn't trust the food they served either.