˗ˋ 56

CHAPTER FIFTY SIX

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH HE'S INFORMED

. . .

Cedric had been called down to the Quidditch pitch by Mr Bagman so that they could be told about the third task. Up until then, Rosie had just been teaching him general spells, and so this would be useful.

Unlike the first task, they hadn't been given the clue at the end of the second task - although Rosie wasn't sure how they would have been given it if they did. Either way, the Kersey girl had something to contemplate over as she sat in one of the many alcoves, waiting long enough to go and find Cedric after he had been told.

The third task was something that Cedric and her had debated on during a couple of their practises. Rosie had argued that it was probably going to be quite a lot harder, seeing as it was the final one, whereas Cedric had weighed up the options and come to the conclusion that nothing would be harder than the second or first task, and that they would be equal. 

Either way, neither Cedric nor Rosie had come up with any idea of what exactly the task would hold. Both of the previous tasks had been so out of this world that it seemed impossible to dream up what the final of the three could consist of.

Rosie sat there for another five or so minutes, going over what had happened since her and Cedric made up an attempting to organise some of her thoughts - which was rather hard considering just how mny and confusing they were.

But finally, Rosie decided to get up and head towards the inner school, which was rather quiet at that time, most people having gone up to their common rooms following dinner. 

Cedric appeared suddenly out of nowhere, turning the corner and practically running into Rosie. "Woah woah woah-" She said, jumped out of her skin, and Cedric met her eyes, cheeks turning pink before taking her hand and dragging her around the corner and into the nearest classroom. 

"Well first of all they've wrecked the Quidditch pitch." He burst out, and Rosie's jaw dropped. "It's completely gone!"

"They can't do that. It's bad enough that I'm not playing at all this year I can't not play next year! That's an abomination." Rosie replied, taking her usual seat on the teacher's desk, Cedric sitting in front of her on a normal desk. 

"Bagman say's they'll have it gone by next year - but you should see it Rosie, it's awful." Cedric shook his head, letting out a sigh. "It looks like somebody had been building long, low walls all over it thattwisted and crisscrossed in every direction - but they're hedges."

"Hedges? What in the living fuck are they doing with hedges?" Rosie burst out, still looking rather indignant from the lack of Quidditch pitch currently at Hogwarts.

"That's the task. A hedge maze." Cedric said, and whatever Rosie had been expecting, it wasn't that. "In a month or so the beginnings of the hedges will be a maze and on the 24th of June will be the task."

"In the centre of the maze will be the Triwizard Cup. I'm guessing when one of us gets it then the task will be over and they'll be the winner - whether or not they count the points or if it's dependant on who get's the cup I'm not sure." He finished.

"I mean I'm guessing it must be worth a certain amount of points? Like in Quidditch how the snitch is worth a hundred and fifty points whilst scoring a goal is only ten. That way anyone could have a chance at winning." Rosie reasoned, and Cedric considered it for a moment. 

"Bagman said that our current scores determine what order we go in." Cedric replied.

"Oh..." The girl trailed off. "So what's in the maze, I'm guessing that it's not that simple." 

"Hagrid's providing some creatures and some spells will be needed to be broken." Cedric said, Rosie holding up her finger to silence him, scrambling off the desk and looking in the drawers of it, pulling it out a roll of parchment, a bottle of ink and a spare quill that had been kept in there. 

She shook the bottle of ink and opened it, dipping the quill in it and unrolling the parchment. Cedric watched as Rosie wrote the first bit down. "What was the thing about spells?" She asked.

"I need to break some?" Cedric responded, and looked rather confused. Rosie scribbled it down and jumped up. 

"I need to go to the library.. I only have like ten minutes and I need to get a book out so I can start writing down ideas." Rosie said, and Cedric grabbed her hand just before she left, pulling her back. 

He lent down and kissed her on the cheek, smirking slightly when it turned pink. "Thank you Rosie, really." He said, and Rosie pulled herself out of his grasp, blushing and mumbling something before rushing out.

And smiling, Cedric put away the ink and cleaned the quill for her, leaving it in the drawer of the teacher's desk. He left the classroom optimistic.

But he had no idea what the third task would entail.