˗ˋ 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH ROSIE BEGINS TO HELP

. . .

Rosie stepped through the doorway, staring in awe around the room. The Room of Requirement - which she had been so sure was only something that was only real in the books about Hogwart's history, and not actually real.

Maybe that thought was also reinforced by the fact that the twins and her had never found it. But they had found many passages during their first few years - and they had either been on the marauders map or they had stumbled upon each one by accident. 

The Room or Requirement had never shown up on the map - and Rosie had pretty much figured that it was because it didn't exist. But really, all this time, it was there - but only when you needed it. 

Which made sense, if Rosie thought about it. But seeing as she didn't even thought it existed, she hadn't even considered the fact is appeared at the person's will, rather than just continuously being there.

"So this is the Room of Requirement?" Rosie said, walking around, staring up at the high ceilings, wall filled with mirrors and a light, sunny aura. 

"Well... not exactly." Cedric said, and Rosie frowned. "Well it's in the name - it changes to whatever the person requires. I'm pretty sure it's been a toilet for some people, an abandoned classroom - everything." 

"So this is what you wanted." Rosie nodded. It sort of made sense - the warmth that the room gave off, the plush mustard yellow sofa, piles of ancient looking books and scrolls, candles and plants flowing out of hanging baskets. "I like it." She smiled, looking over at Cedric. 

The boy shrugged, but mirrored the smile Rosie had just given him as she walked over to the sofa, sitting in it and opening the book up. Cedric hoped that what he had asked the room for was fine. He really had no idea what Rosie was planning to help him - and he thought that maybe the empty space in front on the sofa was large enough. 

"What have you got planned?" Cedric finally asked, curiousity getting the better of him and stopping him from waiting any longer for her to tell him. 

"This book is... charms. Hexes, That sort of thing." Rosie began, and showed the cover of the book, which had winding lines as a pattern across the front. "I've noted a couple of them down. There more general spells, rather than something specific."

"Good idea." Cedric nodded. "I have no idea what I'm going up against." The pair fell silent for a moment, and Cedric found himself worrying about the upcoming task, for the first time since he was chosen. 

"So what spells have you got?" Cedric asked, and Rosie paused, studying the index at the start of the book. If Cedric looked closely enough, which he did, as he tried to read the names of the charms, he saw the tiny doodles next to certain spells, indicating that Rosie was thinking about using them. 

"A few." She started, pointing them out on the index. "Bombarda Maxime, Ebublio jinx, Alarte Ascendore, the Patronus charm." She said, casually, and Cedric stared at her. 

"You know how to do all of them?" He asked, and Rosie hesitated. 

"Some of them. Lockhart mentioned Alarte in the duelling club and I noted it down, the Patronus charm... sort of. Professor Lupin started to teach me last year when I mentioned I got really bad migraines around the dementors." Rosie explained, deciding to leave out the fact that her old teacher thought it could be influenced by her half-mermaid genes.

"I get the other ones.. but why the Patronus charm? Doesn't that only work against Dementors?" Cedric asked, confused. "They wouldn't have them on the trial, would they?"

"I don't think they would. I mean you might have to be able to produce one? There's also the possibility of there being Lethifolds. But I don't suppose the Ministry will let them. They are XXXXX Creatures after all." Rosie shrugged.

"Are they more dangerous than dementors?" Cedric asked, and Rosie nodded. "By a lot?" He asked, and she nodded again. "Great, I don't know if I could even produce one against a dementor, let alone a Lethifold." 

"Hey, you never know. There's a reason why you were picked for this whole thing." Rosie smiled, and Cedric looked over at her. "Besides, I'll make sure to get you to form at least an incorporeal one."

"They don't show the animal, do they?" Cedric confirmed, and Rosie nodded, before jumping to her feet. 

"Come on. I need to make sure you know a few things for sure before we properly start." Rosie held out her hand, and Cedric took it, laughing as the girl started to pull him up, but couldn't. 

She tugged on his hand once more, and Cedric got up himself, deciding to ignore the blush that spread across Rosie's face, as it seemed she was hiding it. 

The pair would remain in the Room of Requirement until well past curfew, attempting various spells on things that appeared in there at Cedric's will. Cedric needed to feel confident whilst in the first task, needed to be able to beat whatever it was.

Because if Rosie couldn't compete herself, she at least needed to help the boy who was.