˗ˋ 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE DAY ARRIVES

. . .

Rosie and Cedric practised late into the night, Cedric memorising and trying out as many spells as he could. Transfiguration, charms, even hexes. He was as prepared as he could be, or at least Rosie hoped he would be. 

Professor Sprout had collected Cedric at the end of their lesson before lunch, and Rosie hadn't had the chance to wish him good luck. As she ate, she murmured a string of words, Fred and George staring at her like she had done something weird.

It wasn't anything strange she was saying, just a good luck charm that her mum's side of the family had taught her. She really needed Cedric to suceed, no matter what. 

As soon as the students who weren't competing were given the signal, they all rose to their feet, rushing down to the edge of the forest, where the enclosure was, ready to sit in the stands and watch the first task. 

"You guys go ahead." Rosie said to the twins, as they arrived at the entrance to the enclosure, Cedric was stood there, in the black and yellow clothes. His face was a sickly shade of green, and was visibly shaking. 

"Fine, we'll save you a seat?" George offered, watching as the Kersey girl nodded, then pulled Fred away. 

Rosie managed to make her way around the Ministry officials and those working on the tournament, appearing in front of Cedric. "Hey." She said, and Cedric didn't reply for a few moments, looking slightly dazed.

"Oh, hi Rosie." Cedric smiled slightly, and even that looked a little sickly. "Is everyone coming to watch?" He asked, and Rosie looked behind her, at the crowds of students still walking down to the forest. 

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one will miss it." Rosie shrugged. "Do you know what you're going to do yet?" She asked, and Cedric stared down at his hands. 

"I think I have an idea." Cedric's voice was shaking, and a couple of moments later, someone told him that he would be going in a few minutes later.

"I should go to my seat." Rosie told him, and Cedric nodded. "Good luck." She smiled, and seconds later, she was hugging him, and he was hugging her back. 

"I'll come and see you afterwards." Rosie promised, moving out of his grasp and walking away, going to sit next Fred and George, once again repeating the string of good luck words under her breath, only mumbling them quicker when she saw Cedric step into the enclosure. 

"A Swedish Short-Snout." The twins said in sync. "Wicked." Rosie glanced at them, confused, only to remember Charlie, who had given them all crash-courses on dragon types when they first came to Hogwarts, and Charlie was getting ready to leave for Romania. 

Bagman was commentating, and it made it hard for Rosie for concentrate. But as she watched Cedric move further into the ring, his eyes focused on something, she figured out what exactly he was focused on.

He had to get an golden egg, that the dragon was very obviously guarding. She watched as he fired a few jinxes towards the dragon's feet, hitting the rocks behind it and distracting it for only a moment. 

He kept trying to get closer, and Rosie gasped as he stumbled, the dragon's scaly tail coming far too close for comfort, almost hitting him. But then, she watched as a wave of something came over him, and he seemed more determined than nervous. 

With a wave of his wand, a rock was turned into a dog. Rosie recognised the spell, having practised it with him late the previous night. It was one that she wasn't really sure if he had actually gotten or not, given how late it was. 

But it did the trick, the dragon's sole focus was now on the dog as it trotted around a small area of the arena, and Cedric finally got to the egg, grabbing it at the crowd cheered. 

"Very good indeed!" Bagman was shouting. "And now the marksfrom the judges!" Unfortunately, Fred, George and Rosie were sat in a position where the couldn't see the scores, but from the roar of applause, Rosie figured it was good. 

As the handlers came to remove the dragon, Cedric clutched the egg, looking around the stands, spotting Rosie, with a proud smile on her face. She almost got up to go and see him as he exited, but the twins stopped her, insisting she stayed to watch Harry. 

But first was Fleur and then Krum, and they watched, on the edge of their seats as both of them managed to get the eggs. Cedric was still the fastest though, and only Harry had the chance to beat him.

Rosie felt an odd sense of nervousness as she watched Harry enter the ring. But it seemed to fade when she heard him shout the summoning spell, along with his Firebolt. He was a magnificent flyer, and Rosie was sure that he would do just fine.

And he did, he got the egg with only a scratch on his shoulder, and once again, the crowd erupted into cheers. Harry disappeared from the ring for first aid, and Rosie wasn't stopped when she jumped up from her seat.

She rushed down from the stands, over to where she saw Harry being walked over to Madame Pomfrey. "Well done Harry." She called, and the boy replied with a smile and thanks, although he looked a little confused on what she was doing. 

"He's next door." Madame Pomfrey told her, and Rosie nodded, knowing Harry was watching as she burst through the flaps of the tent next door. 

But she faltered when she saw Cedric wasn't alone. "Cho, hey." Rosie regained composure quickly, and Cedric looked over, still a shade of green. 

"Hello Rosie, I didn't know you and Cedric were friends." The Ravenclaw seeker said, and Rosie felt herself getting flustered. 

"Oh.. I just came to say congratulations, he did really good." Rosie stammered slightly, trying not to feel bad when she saw Cedric wasn't looking at her. 

"You could give Harry some of those words as well, I'm sure after his accident he'll need it. Well, not really, considering he won." Cho smiled, and Rosie's brow crumpled, confused on what she was saying.

"Oh.. um sure. Yeah, I'll go tell him now.." Rosie backed out of tent, confused. And rather than waiting for anyone else, she walked back to the castle alone, trying to figure out why she felt so horrible. 

disclaimer !!
cho was done so dirty
in the films, and sort 
of in the books as well.
i really don't want to 
paint her out as the
bad person but in this
case she just happens
to be the canon girlfriend,
if that makes sense.
i really love cho, so pls
don't feel offended i've portrayed
her in this way, it's just
for the story :)