˗ˋ 33

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH OFFICES ARE VISITED

. . .

"Miriam, you're here." A flustered voice was joined by the click of heels on the flagstones, Professor McGonagall arriving in the Entrance Hall in front of the Kersey girl, who took a wobbly step down from the staircase. 

Healer Strout and the Gryffindor Head of House were talking amongst themselves seemingly unaware of the girl stood just a few feet away, silently contemplating what her next move was going to be.

There was no doubt at all in her mind to why Healer Strout was there. There was only one possible reason, one thing that made any sense at all. Something had happened with Cedric. 

Rosie had no idea what the St. Mungo's procedure was for telling close friends or family of long-term patients, but she was sure that Miriam Strout wouldn't have travelled from the location in London all the way up to the magical boarding school in Scotland for no reason.

Which meant one thing. Something big had happened, there had been some gigantic change to his condition. And branching from that were two outcomes. Either Cedric had taken a turn for the worst, or he was getting better.

And Merlin, Rosie hoped it was the second one. Following the events that had transpired the night before, from Umbridge's introduction to the school through interrupting Dumbledore to learning just how different some people could become when they didn't like something you were sayin, Rosie just needed some good news.

It wasn't just her who needed good news either. Mr and Mrs Diggory had been in St. Mungo's even more than she had, quite often visiting every other day. Cho, who, although she had fallen out with Cedric and Rosie, was waiting patiently to talk to her ex again. Every single one of Cedric's friend and house mate; the Hufflepuff spirit had deteriorated since his injuries. Professor Sprout, who was now bustling across the Entrance Hall and coming to a stop beside Healer Strout. 

Rosie was expecting Dumbledore to somehow appear as well, but she needn't worry about someone else joining the group of three women, because the fourth would be herself.

"It'll be fine, go and hear what they have to say." George had seen Rosie and Fred descend down the staircase and upon seeing the half-mermaid freeze by the bottom step, had decided that he was going to help her push herself forward, no matter how scared she was to find out the news. 

"And she doesn't seem particularly sad, does she?" Fred took a slightly different approach, slinging an arm around Rosie's shoulder and bending his knees slightly to reach her height, encouraging smile across his face. "Go on Kersey, you've got this." 

Rosie still didn't seem to move, so George placed a hand in her lower back and helped her to do just that, guiding her across the Entrance Hall until she was a few feet away - then he returned to Fred. 

"Ah, Rosie." Miriam Strout was the first to notice her, and hearing the words of the very much familar student. "It hasn't been too long since I saw you last, has it?" 

Rosie shook her head slightly; her last visit to St. Mungo's had been on the day that the booklists had arrived and made her the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain, the day before they returned to Hogwarts. 

"Is something.. going on?" She had no idea how to phrase it, looking from Strout to Professor McGonagall and then to Professor Sprout, who smiled kindly down at her.

"Miriam, Minerva, I think it's best if we take a walk down to my office. It's not too cold just yet so it'll be a lovely walk." The Hufflepuff head of house turned back to Rosie, who had very much noticed that her name was on that list and was wondering if she was to join them. "There's a lot of people watching here. Miss Kersey, come along please."

Rosie breathed out a sigh of relief, getting smiles of encouragement and thumbs up from the twins as they watched her follow the two teachers and the healer from St. Mungo's that she had grown so close to. 

It wasn't a long walk to the much smaller greenhouse that served as Professor Sprout's office. Rosie couldn't remember that last time she was in there, but it was far to say that it was exactly the same; a desk in the centre covered in clutter, two rows of plants lining the glass windows, plenty of tools and soil scattered around and a pair of floating gloves was trimming a Flutterby bush, the pretty plant creating the most pleasant smell. 

"Rosie, take a seat." Professor Sprout coaxed her down into one of the chairs, cheeks red and smiley. "Now, Healer Strout, I believe you have some news for us?"

Miriam had taken the second of the two seats in front of the Herbology professor's chair, whilst McGonagall was stood behind Rosie's, hands set on the back and stood above her seventh year with an alarming look of worry on her face. 

That didn't help Rosie at all - McGonagall, worried? That didn't bode well for her nerves at all, and she turned back to Miriam, desperate to hear something. 

Healer Strout just smiled.