˗ˋ 34

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S ALL
REVEALED

. . .

Healer Strout had a smile on her face that seemed to fool nobody, and slowly Rosie could feel her hopes raising. She really, truly wanted everything to be fine and nothing had happened - and this visit was merely to discuss how Cedric's education would go about due to his coma. 

But it wasn't a mere 'I'm happy to see you all' smile, it was a good news smile. But just in case it was some weird dream or she was reading too much into it, Rosie forced herself to calm down

If it was the news that they had all been waiting for since the 3rd of July, when Rosie first found out that Cedric was not dead as presumed, and in fact very much alive thanks to her Potions handiwork and mermaid tears, then she would be able to celebrate.

For now, Rosie needed to take a deep breath and calm herself down, focusing on what Miriam was saying as she twisted her fingers in her lap before finally just gripping onto the edge of the seat.

She could barely sit still from anticipation. The same could not be said for McGonagall and Sprout, who was stood and sat respectively, completely still.

"It is my pleasure to inform you that Mr Diggory had woken from his comatose state." Miriam's words echoed in Rosie's ears, and she swore she heard fireworks go off. That was probably Fred and George somewhere, but it seemed fitting for the situation.

Rosie didn't think she had ever felt so relieved and happy in her life, perhaps more so than when it was realised that he was very much alive. She had been waiting for news each summer; with every visit to St. Mungos she had prayed that she would arrive and Cedric would be awake and very much living.

Her prayers had not been granted then, but everything she had hoped for had come true within twenty-four hours of her leaving London. Perhaps that had been the key to it all - but it was most likely just a coincidence. 

She didn't actually believe what she was hearing. "Is he?" Her tone was full of surprise and astonishment, watching as Strout nodded her head in confirmation and Rosie felt tears rise in her eyes. "Oh thank god." She breathed out, slumping against the seat.

Professor McGonagall was actually smiling, Professor Sprout was actually in tears, standing up and flinging her arms around Healer Strout, before turning to McGonagall - who seemed rather flustered to be pulled into such a tight grasp. 

Rosie was in an expected state of shock, hand clamped over her mouth as she tried to process it. "Oh thank god." She repeated. "I don't know what I would have done if he didn't."

On the outside, she was still, but on the inside it was as if one of Gryffindor's famous celebratory parties were ongoing at a louder and more exciting pace than before. Fireworks that looked like the ones her, Fred and George had developed were exploded and the feeling of sweet, sweet relief was flooding her senses.

She hardly noticed that Healer Strout was urging the Hufflepuff head of house to sit down, Miriam getting the woman's own tissues and holding them out to her. Professor Sprout blew her nose whilst Rosie dabbed at her own eyes, McGonagall collecting herself and returning to her position behind her student. 

"Miss Kersey." McGonagall was the first to notice Rosie's lack of focus, tapping the girl on the shoulder and urging her to listen. 

"Although that news is incredible and Cedric is very lucky and thankful to be alive, there are a couple of.. additional things." Miriam's smile had disappeared and her expression was grave. "It was discovered when Mr and Mrs Diggory visited their son, there had been some alterations to what he can remember." 

"Oh." Rosie breathed out. The party inside her mind had come to an abrupt stop and had disappeared completely, dread replacing the relief and joy she had happened. "What.. can't he remember."

"He didn't automatically recognise either of his parents, although he accepted them to be his parents very quickly. Which is a good sign." Miriam was avoiding Rosie's gaze, and her heart sunk even further. "He seems to recognise his magical abilities and attendance at Hogwarts."

"But..?" McGonagall was just as curious and fearing what was to come. 

"He doesn't have any recollection of what happened in relation to the Triwizard Tournment. The entire year seems to have been blocked out due to trauma." Miriam revealed, and Rosie thought she might throw up. 

She had barely known Cedric before the Quidditch World Cup final. 

Just like that, their relationship had been reduced to nothing upon his concious state returning.