23. The Third Task

*Reader's POV*

The third and final task was fast approaching. Reeta Skeeter was as awful as always, constantly writing about poor Harry and Hermione. Everyone now thought they were together, which seemed to bother Ron. The houses were still divided with just about everyone going against Harry. The third task was Friday and Harry was terrified. Hermione and him had been staying up late in the library where Hermione was trying to teach him new spells. You were spending lots of time studying, and when you weren't studying you could be found with the twins and Lee. Quidditch was taking a break so the champions could prepare and for that, you were thankful. You walked outside and inhaled the crisp, cool air. You found George, Lee, and Fred sitting by the Black Lake. You smiled as you walked up to the boys. You put your hands over Fred's eyes.

"Guess who?"

You asked, unable to hold back your laughter.

"Hmm... George is that you?"

"Wrong."

You replied. Fred pretended to think, and as he did, he stuck his tongue out and licked your hand.

"Ew! That's absolutely disgusting Fredrick Weasley."

Fred giggled boyishly. You sat down next to Fred and laid your head down on his shoulder. They explained the latest prank they were planning and you decided to join them. 

"It'll be after the third task."

Lee explained as they told you their plans. 

***

It was the evening of the final task. You got bundled up and walked towards the stadium. You sat with Ginny, Hermione, Ron, George, Lee, Fred, Neville, and Luna. Everyone was cheering wildly. You were able to wish Harry good luck before he had to go. Ron was talking to us about Harry.

"He's been waking up the last nights screaming. I'm guessing nightmares. Doesn't make sense if you ask me, he hasn't had one in months."

"I'm sure it's nothing. He's been through a lot mate."

Lee comforted.

"Yeah..."

Hermione trailed off, her mid occupied by other thoughts. You looked over to the quidditch field. It was now covered in tall, thick bushes. You could've stacked three or four Hagrid's and you still wouldn't be able to see over the top. There were concerning sounds coming from the bush, so it must've been empty inside. Everyone sat eagerly waiting for the task to start. Dumbledore amplified his voice and cleared his throat. The noise immediately died down. 

"Welcome, students to the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament!"

Everyone cheered loudly.   

"For their task, the champions must make it through the maze full of terrors to reach the Triwizard Cup. They must use the knowledge they have acquired to defend themselves and complete the maze."

Everyone's eyes were glued on Dumbledore. Despite the hundreds of people in the stands, it was silent.

"If a champion becomes injured or is unable to complete the maze, they will shoot red sparks up. The teachers will see it and come to their aid."

Dumbledore shot red sparks out of his wand to demonstrate.

"Since Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory are tied for first place, they shall enter the maze first. Victor Krum will follow, and Fleur Delacour shortly after. On the sound of the whistle, Harry and Cedric will enter the maze."

Everyone waited for the sound of the whistle. After what felt like an eternity, a high-pitched whistle sounded. Harry and Cedric exchanged a look before darting into the maze. The crowd cheered as each champion went in. Now all that was left was to wait.