41| Warning

Chapter 41: Warning (Emma's POV)

The next 2 weeks flew by and before we knew it, Nathan was all settled into his apartment, I was going over on some days, he was coming over on others. We worked our way up after the argument that we had. And everything was great. So great. 

But suddenly, out of the blue, he's started acting sort of distant. I don't know what's going on with him but I haven't questioned anything because I don't want to upset or anger him. We're all currently at Nathan's apartment having a game/movie night and currently, Nathan is in the kitchen teaching Kendall how to make pasta because, wow, she doesn't know how to make pasta. 

"Why does it look like that?" she asked. 

"That's what pasta looks like, Kendall, stop asking me that!" Nathan groaned. 

I bit back a laugh and continued looking for a movie. Brandon sat down beside me and snatched the remote, taking over for me. I eyed Nathan for a minute, then turned to Brandon. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Go ahead." 

"What's been up with Nathan lately? Why is he acting off?" 

He stopped looking for a movie and turned to me, seeming confused. "What are you talking about?" 

"He's acting weird. He's not really showing any affection. Which is weird for him, he's always being touchy and lovey-dovey but it's been off lately. Anything I should know of?" 

He hesitated, looking back and forth between Nathan and me. "It's Chloe's death anniversary tomorrow," he mumbled, lowering his voice. I stared at him, not knowing what to say. "He's probably off because of that. The memory hits him harder on that day. Just... take care of him." 

"So, is he really busy tomorrow or just avoiding people?" 

"He avoids everyone on this date," he rolled his eyes. 

"You don't seem to talk very nicely of Chloe," I stated. 

"Yeah, I don't. Cause she was a fucking bitch." 

"Whoa, okay," I said, looking at him in disbelief. 

He looked at me weirdly, "Dude, no. What the hell? You can't tell me you like her from what you've heard." His brows furrowed. 

"No, I don't. But I... oh well," I shrugged. 

"She got Nathan into all the wrong things with all the wrong people. She's the reason he was the way he was when you came. Smoking, drinking, stumbling around drunk every night..." He shook his head, seeming disappointed in his friend. "I just wish she didn't do all that to him before she died, you know? It's sad that she died like that, I guess. But like... he was drinking for her at parties so her friends thought he was cool enough for her. So he matched their level. He didn't smoke until she died. And he only started because he thought people wouldn't accuse him as much of killing her." 

I didn't even know people did that. 

"If one way or another, she wasn't taken out of his life, she was on a path to ruining herself and she was gonna take Nathan down too." 

"He said she wasn't listening to anyone when people told her to stop," I said. 

"Yeah, but it's not like he was either. Everyone tried so hard. We all told him to leave her. To stay away from her and her friends, but he was so hell-bent on saving her. He still saw her as his best friend. He didn't see how toxic she was getting for him. You should ask him, Emma. To tell you every single thing. Do it tonight. While he's still sober," he mumbled quickly as Nathan and Kendall came and took their seats. "Take it as a warning, with a pinch of salt," he shrugged. "A warning?" Nathan asked in confusion.