19| Clarity

Chapter 19: Clarity (Emma's POV)

I must have fallen asleep because last I remembered, the movie was playing and the next thing I know, I'm waking up to the rolling credits. I sighed, shuffling around, rubbing my eyes. I kept my eyes closed because I'm craving sleep really desperately right now. And I was dozing off again when I heard the TV turn off and then shuffling around. 

The sun had already set, I know that. Because we watched over three movies today. 

"Bye," I heard Nathan say before the front door softly opened and then closed. "Emma," he whispered. I didn't move. "Emma," he said, running his fingers through my hair. "Hello," he sang, poking my cheek. I bit back a smile and continued pretending to be asleep. He sighed, pushing the blanket off, and then stood up because I felt the couch lift on the other end. He put his arms under me and picked me up. 

Oh, don't drop me, please. 

He walked up the stairs and set me down on my bed. 

"Emma!" I heard my mom call out. 

"Shit," I mumbled, finally rubbing my eyes open. 

"Were you up this whole time?" 

"No," I chuckled, standing up. "Stay here," I said, throwing my hair up before running downstairs. "Hi, mom," I smiled. Oh wow, it's 10 PM. 

"Hi, hun. Did you have friends over?" she asked, looking at the couch. 

"Uh, yeah, Kendall and just a couple of people more," I cleared my throat. I walked over to the couch and started cleaning up, putting the blankets away too. 

"Nobody's staying the night?" 

"No, Kendall was the only girl. Other than well, me," I chuckled. 

"Oh, is it that Nathan boy your dad was talking about?" she asked. 

"Yeah, and uh his friend Brandon," I said, glancing upstairs as I left the dishes in the sink. "Is it okay if I do these later? I'm kind of tired," I chuckled. 

"Sure, honey. I'm gonna call it a night too," she said, kissing my cheek as she went into her room. I flicked the lights off and went upstairs. 

I opened my room door and saw Nathan snooping around. He was looking at photographs that I had hung up on the wall beside my bed. "Whatcha doing?" I asked, standing beside him.

"Just looking," he said, "Who's that?" he asked, pointing at Kade. 

Kade was my best friend, Zoey's brother. She was my best friend from Miami. We talk on and off now, it's hard now that I've left. "That is my best friend's brother," I mumbled. 

He looked at me, "He doesn't look older or younger." 

"No, they were twins. She was 20 minutes younger, so..." I shrugged, sitting on my bed. 

He eyed me suspiciously. "That's just your best friend's brother or...?" he trailed off questioningly. A little accusingly too. 

"He's also my ex-boyfriend," I sighed. 

"Figured you don't kiss best friend's brothers on the cheek like that," he nodded, "So, what happened?" 

I ran my hands over my sweatpants, "Uh, we broke up when I told him I was leaving. That was about 3 months before I actually left, but we both didn't want to do long distance, so we broke it off. Mutually," I shrugged. 

"Hmm," he nodded. 

"What about you?" I asked, "Any ex-girlfriends?" 

"Just one," he said, sitting beside me.