38| Unraveling

Chapter 38: Unraveling (Nathan's POV)

We just sat in silence for around 20 minutes after that. She's either processing what I've told her, or she's trying to guess what happened, or she's already guessed it. She may know that Chloe is dead. 

"It's really hard to transition out of that with a witty remark, um," she cleared her throat. I let out a snort, smacking my hand over my mouth. I shook my head, turning to face her. "I don't know what to tell you," she chuckled awkwardly. 

"You don't have to tell me anything." 

"I'll just... kiss you." She reached up, grabbing my shirt in a fist, and then smashed her lips on mine. 

She's kissing me after I tell her about my ex-girlfriend. 

That doesn't sound about right. She knows. She definitely knows. 

But we're both going to act like she doesn't. 

I don't even know what to tell her. The truth is just pouring right on out for her to see. It's just unraveling like I knew it would at some point, but it's scaring the hell out of me. She may see me differently after all this after she knows about that night. And she may hate me. 

Please don't hate me, Emma. 

And she may leave me. 

Please don't leave me, Emma. 

"What?" she looked up at me in confusion. 

"What?" I asked. 

"You just said... you said 'please don't leave me.'" 

"I did?" She nodded slowly. "I was thinking it," I cleared my throat. 

"Why would I leave you?" 

"You might. When you find out what happened. All of it." 

She shook her head, "I won't." 

"But you might." 

"No, I won't. I promise. I'll be here when you need me. Always." 

"You can't promise me something without knowing all of it." 

She sighed, "Nathan. I don't even think you were completely at fault. Whatever it was that happened." 

She knows. 

"I think maybe you were involved, maybe some of it was your fault, but not as much as you think. I think people had you believing you were guilty. So, there is no way in hell that I will turn my back on you and leave." 

"You sound like you're in love with me," I chuckled, rubbing my eyes.

"I might be," she whispered. My head snapped up and my eyes met hers. "I think I'm getting there," she clarified. 

"Y-you... you think..." I cleared my throat, "You think you're falling i-in love? You think you're falling in love with me?" 

"It's too soon to be in love with you. But I think I'm falling, yeah," she nodded. 

"That's really quick," I mumbled. 

"Yeah," she forced out a chuckle. 

"But I just... I don't know what it is, but I feel safe with you. I've technically known you since preschool, we just never spoke, I guess. But with you, I'm home. That makes no sense," she sighed, leaning her head back. 

"It makes total sense," I reasoned. 

"It does?" she asked, looking at me with confusion and surprise.