31| Painkiller

Chapter 31: Painkiller (Emma's POV)

It's 4 o'clock in the freaking morning and I can't go back to sleep. I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm feeling really restless and all I wanna do is kick someone. And Nathan lying beside me is very tempting. So that's not really helping. He shuffled around before his arm went around me from behind because I lay with my back facing him. 

He's spooning me. 

He threw his leg over mine and moved in closer. "I just have a feeling I'm gonna get kicked," he mumbled. I bit back a laugh and pretended to be asleep. "I know you're up," he mumbled, his lips against my shoulder. 

"I can't go back to sleep," I groaned, turning around to face him. 

"Why?" he asked, his eyes still closed firmly. 

"I don't know, my stomach kind of hurts. I think it's all the candy we had," I said, clutching my stomach tightly. 

"Does it hurt bad?" he asked, squinting his eyes open. 

"No, it just feels... like I ate a bunch of candy. And I did, I ate a bunch of candy," I laughed. 

He chuckled, moving in closer. "Turn around," he mumbled sleepily in his tired voice. I obeyed and turned my back towards him. He put an arm around my waist first and then slipped his hand under my shirt where he placed his palm on my stomach. 

"How are your hands so warm? It's winter." 

"It's fall," he corrected. 

"Point being, it's cold. And you're warm," I said. 

"I guess I don't get that cold." Couldn't be me. Ever. I'm always cold as are my hands and feet and nose. Those are the easiest ones, they give in to the cold first. 

The problem with lying like this is, I'm not looking at him. And that's kind of what I wanted to do. I sighed, turning back around. He looked at me in confusion. "I can tolerate it," I shrugged. He smiled, moving his hand to my lower back where he drew circles faintly. 

I wonder if he did all this with Chloe. 

Don't think about it, Em. 

"Go to sleep, Emma," he whispered, lightly kissing my cheek. 

"I'm scared," I whispered. 

"Why? If it hurts that bad I can get you a painkiller." 

I shook my head, "I don't need a painkiller." 

"But if you're in pain..." he trailed off in confusion. 

"I'm not in that much pain," I chuckled, "I'm just... confused. And scared." 

"About what?" he questioned, tucking my hair behind my ear. 

"About what we're doing." He sighed, waiting for me to explain and paying full attention to what I'm saying. At 4 in the morning. "I just... I'm trusting you. With me and my heart. Don't break it." 

"Promise," he said, holding his pinky out. I locked my finger with his, laughing softly. He kissed me slowly, taking his time before pulling away. "I promise. We will always communicate," he said. I remember saying that to him. I smiled, pecking his lips before snuggling further into him. 

I woke up the next morning after that to an empty bed. I climbed out of bed, heading towards my bathroom. I just assumed Nathan was showering or something. I rubbed my eyes and let out a yawn while flicking the lights on. I grabbed the handle to open the bathroom door but the door yanked open before I could push it. "Oh, sh..." I was about to say 'oh shit' but then I stopped when I saw Nathan.