Chosen - chapter twenty-one

Chapter Twenty-one

I awoke with a start to some person pounding on the door. Sitting up, my mind couldn't grasp that I was awake just yet.

"Lady Joselyn?"

"Hmm?"

"Madame, are you there?"

"Yes. Who is it?"

"A letter arrived for you a short while ago," the voice on the other side of the door responded.

"A letter?"

"Would you like me to retrieve it, Joselyn?"

I screamed and turned to see Angeline standing next to the bed. "Oh my God, Angeline."

"What?"

"When did you get in here?"

"A while ago, someone has to ensure you still look like a presentable lady. Because I know you would still wear that pink monstrosity that you had me pack out where others can see you."

I rubbed my eyes a bit and tried to steady my racing heart. "Get the letter."

She cracked the door enough to grab the paper from the man. They muttered a few greetings and he was gone. She stared at the seal on the back and pursed her lips.

"Who is it from?" I asked.

She said nothing, simply walked to me and handed it over. Her expressionless face was disconcerting to say the least. I sat up and reached for the paper. It seemed innocent enough. Albeit a bit odd that I would receive a letter here. Glancing at the seal on the back, all breath left my body. I could feel the color draining from my face.

"How did they know you were here?" Angeline asked.

I shook my head, staring at the red seal of the Guild. Shaking hands grasped the paper tightly nervous to open it.

What do they want? In all this time, I've never received a letter from them. Do they know of my feelings for Cassius?

I sucked in a deep break and broke the seal.

Joselyn,

I hope this letter finds you well. I sincerely apologize for leaving on such short notice and without warning to you. Angeline was kind enough to step in for me in my absence. Do trust her. I was called away on a separate mission than the one you are doing at this time. Despite promising to always be there for you, I had to leave. The Guild needed my presence with another. Please forgive me.

Angeline has informed me of the predicament you are in. Remember your training and you will find the missing jewel that you seek.

Jonathan

"When did you send a letter to Jonathan?" I turned to look at Angeline. "And why? God, that man."

"Only this morning. He must be closer than I expected." She returned to sorting through gowns. "Despite how much you hate him, he is still your trainer."

"Why did he leave? He gave me no information besides he had to help another."

"I am unsure. The Guild does not share mission details. You know that, Joselyn."

"Do not lie to me, Angeline. Where is he?"

"I honestly do not know. I did not expect him to be within the country though," she mumbled, holding her hand out for the letter.

I sighed heavily and sank into the feather pillows behind me. My mind reeled at the revelation where my mentor vanished.

"What shall I do?"